Disability Discharge for a School Loan

Has anyone been through a Disability Discharge for a school loan? If so, how much time does the education department take until a conditional or final loan discharge is decided? How many in depth medical records are requested and how much privacy is there on what is requested? The law changes on July 1, 2008 with the education department. I am on a deadline. Any help is appreciated.

Sandy from Orange Cty, CA

Good luck with that one! Our horrible story was it never happened. My son-in-law who has type 1 diabetes turned blind, has severe heart problems and was on dialysis waiting for a kidney transplant and they still have not been forgiven for his college loan. He is only 30. They always had an excuse saying the doctor had not filled out the paper work properly plus they were so rude everytime my daughter called. I actually listened on the other line and heard some of the things said. Paperwork was always lost and nothing recorded in the computer. I have heard that these loans could be forgiven but him being a complete invalid didn't get it done for him. Sorry but that was our experience in PA.

Anytime your doctor or you send anything

GET COPIES!!! I sent in all paperwork for

disability and they requested info from my

numerous doctors and years later it was approved.

They kept putting me on something like

medical hold so it would not pop up on my credit.

And the thing is it is never a guarantee you just

have to keep calling till you get someone who

is compassionate and respectful.

Keep trying.

I live in Pa. and when my husband turned terminal I started to call and find out information when I can cancel his student loan. I paperwork from the Cancer Doctor and he enclosed tests and x-rays. That department hounded me every day for payments and I kept saying that he is terminal and that should take care of the loan.

To make a LONG story short, 1 year AFTER his death and 3 original copies of his death certificate, I received a letter from the department saying he MAY BE discharged from paying his student loan. Days later I received a letter from the board of directors saying that they were sorry to hear of his death.

Of course, his loan is discharged. Any time I need help again do not hesitate to contact us. I don't want to feel hopeless about your case but I had even a lawyer and he couldn't get through to them.

Good Luck, daisywoods

PS Keep your paper that says the loan was excused. I still think they will come back to try to collect.

I only recently got approved for my disability a few months ago, and I too have encountered more rude people than I knew existed! I told them in a very nice letter of my approval and told them I would be more than glad to go through the paper work it would require. But it's like, it's all about them.

I took a statement for my doctor to fill out and send in, and they act like I'm not a person at all, forget about the disability or the doctor or the fact that there is anything wrong at all. It's just gimme gimme gimme, money, money , money. I'm wondering if they will hound me to the grave over it! They won't even acknowledge

I ever said anything or that my doctor has sent anything. Is this a total lost cause? You know, that's a bad thing. If you owe a dime, they will never let up. If they owe you, nobody gets in a hurry over that one!

Wow, I have about 15 pages of all the phone calls I have made to the Department of Education. I have been calling them for three years and all the other departments they told me to call. It has been a three ring circus. They lost my loans. Nobody could help me find the status on my loans, then all of a sudden I get a huge bill and they started collecting.

I have called them and asked them what they need over and over and over but they keep coming up with excuses. I did not benefit from the education and in fact it has ruined my life. I became disabled and it's as if they want a death certificate before they will do anything. They will put me in the grave by keeping me in this three ring circus. It is really a joke how they operate and treat people.

Picture of a student loan application
Paying Off Debt from College
Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 27, 2008
Close up image of student loan application with pencil and calculator
Consolidating Student Loans
Woman Buying Car
Car Loan vs. Paying Cash
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
🎉
🎄