Gardening With a Disability

A physical disability does not necessarily mean you can no longer garden. This is a guide about gardening with a disability.

I'm not about to give up gardening because I'm disabled, but it hurts too much to bend over all the time. So I figured out that if I use a mechanic creeper (you know, those things that mechanics use to roll under cars on), then I can sit on it, be closer to the dirt, carry my supplies, and I don't have to bend over. It works on grass, sidewalk or even in the dirt as long as it's not not wet. One more "dis-" I just took out of disabled! Happy Gardening.

By MobeaB from Texas City, TX

Top Comment

Some folks in wheel chairs are able to garden by planting in hay bales. Lots of vegetables do.well planted in the bales

I have multiple sclerosis and walk quite carefully and slowly with a cane. I know it's been 2-3 years since I divided the iris and hosta like I used to so easily. I am having built extremely raised beds, about 2 feet off the ground so in the future, if I need to use a wheelchair, I'll still be able to weed and play in the dirt. Last fall, I donated many of my perennials like yarrow that would be much too tall in the raised bed. I found much information that would help make gardening accessible on the net.

Marvellous! Well done you! One in the eye for the " you can't"brigade. I'll remember this when I get too old to bend.
Marg from England.

Wonderful idea. Now if I could only get back up. Lol.