Share & Vote

Can Changes in Hormones Affect Hair Dye Results?

I had a hysterectomy in October, only have 1 ovary. Now when I dye my brown hair champagne blonde it turns a orange/red yellow shade. Not pretty at all.

How do I get it a nice shade of blonde or due to my hormones will it never take the way it did before? Should I just go back to brown? I do not have $$$ to go to a salon. My hair grows way too fast. I have been blonde on and off for 30 years. Thank you.

By Wacky Camper

Here are the recent answer to this question.

Did your doctor put you on hormone therapy and/or have you started any other new medications? If that's the case then you'll need to use a good clarifying shampoo every time you shampoo to keep the RX chemicals that affect the hair shaft at bay. I was a hairstylist for over thirty years and every single time there was a color change that shouldn't have occurred I asked the client if they were taking any new medications. 99% of the time that was indeed the case.

By Sherri [6]04/04/2010

Hello. Yes, my doctor told me that it can affect you hair. Please go to a salon and have them do it for you. Take care.

By OliveOyl04/02/2010

I sincerely doubt that your hysterectomy affects the way your hair reacts to dye. I had a hysterectomy (both ovaries) and never had a problem and I color my hair but I stay somewhat close to my own color.

Maybe it's time to rethink the blond hair. If you have dark roots that's a lot of work to maintain. If your own hair is dark brown, try a light brown and see how you like that. It will probably be easier to maintain.