Can Changes in Hormones Affect Hair Dye Results?

I had a hysterectomy in October, only have 1 ovary. Now when I dye my brown hair champagne blonde it turns a orange/red yellow shade. Not pretty at all.

How do I get it a nice shade of blonde or due to my hormones will it never take the way it did before? Should I just go back to brown? I do not have $$$ to go to a salon. My hair grows way too fast. I have been blonde on and off for 30 years. Thank you.

By Wacky Camper

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I sincerely doubt that your hysterectomy affects the way your hair reacts to dye. I had a hysterectomy (both ovaries) and never had a problem and I color my hair but I stay somewhat close to my own color.

Maybe it's time to rethink the blond hair. If you have dark roots that's a lot of work to maintain. If your own hair is dark brown, try a light brown and see how you like that. It will probably be easier to maintain.

Hello. Yes, my doctor told me that it can affect you hair. Please go to a salon and have them do it for you. Take care.

Did your doctor put you on hormone therapy and/or have you started any other new medications? If that's the case then you'll need to use a good clarifying shampoo every time you shampoo to keep the RX chemicals that affect the hair shaft at bay. I was a hairstylist for over thirty years and every single time there was a color change that shouldn't have occurred I asked the client if they were taking any new medications. 99% of the time that was indeed the case.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 2, 2010
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 11:26:01 AM on 10.0.2.203 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.