Growing Avocados from a Seed

I would like to know about growing avocado pits.

By Barbara from Richmond, VA

Put 3 toothpicks in avocado, 1 on each side, so the avocado doesn't fall into the glass of water, sit the glass in the window. The seed will sprout and grow. Maybe you can do a search on the internet to see how to care for the plant if you put it in the ground. You can use it as a house plant by potting it in a planter.

I have had great luck wrapping the pit in wet paper towel and putting in an open plastic baggy and putting under the dark sink cupboard for a couple of weeks and it is ready to plant in soil.

My mom lives in San Jose Ca and started an avocado tree (years ago) from seed by putting it in a jar of water (with the seed held up by toothpicks) on her kitchen window sill. It's now a full size, fruit bearing tree in her back yard. Me, I'm in Co and I can't even get the seed to grow roots. I've tried several different ways and still no luck! The green thumb gene obviously past me by!

Plump Avocado Seed Rooting into Jar
Growing an Avocado from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingSeptember 29, 2010
Avocados cut in half.
Using Avocados
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Halved avocado on top of pile of avocados.
Freezing Avocados
🎉
🎄