Storing Avocados

Category Storage
Knowing how to best store your avocados will ensure that you fully enjoy these delicious fruit. This is a guide about storing avocados.

To keep your avocados from turning brown, seal them together with a cut onion. I have a little plastic container, but you can also place them in a ziplock bag. The onion will keep the avocado green longer!

When using avocado for sandwiches or on crackers, I cut off the top like an egg. I use the pulp from the top and a little bit around the tip inside. Then, I lightly squeeze the top and put the top back on just inside the avocado, leaving a much smaller area exposed. I can do this several times leaving the seed in until the last sandwich or cracker.

Does anyone have any tips for storing avocados after they have been cut into? Should they be refrigerated? Is it best to leave the pit in, or take it out?

Laure from Maryland

Answers

Growing up in California we used to steal Avocado's right off our neighbors tree. (he was a tolerate man) But the best way to store an cut avocado is to leave the pit in the center and liberally splash with some lemon juice. Then put in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. This should keep it from turning brown. The lemon juice also helps to seal in the vitamins that would get lost to the air.

Debra in Colorado

I've done that & it makes the avocado mushy because of the acid in the juice.

yes be sure to refrigerate them after you cut into the avocado. I've always left the pit in mine. I suggest storing it in a plastic container and adding a little lemon juice to keep it from turning brown.

I store a smooth cut half on a plastic lid in the fridge. Just be sure the avocado is sort of 'sealed down' to the plastic. It will keep well for about 24 hours this way.

Yeah, the lemon juice can make it mushy. I cut what I need, flop the half back onto the pit side, throw in a plastic bag and in fridge. Out here in CA where they are more abundant and we've grown up with them, a little brown doesn't scare me too much, I use it for sandwiches and such anyways.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I love avocados on sandwiches or in salads, but they are expensive here in MD, and I hate it when they go bad before I can finish them. I will definitely use your tips!

In my humble ( and totally prejudiced) opinion, the best thing is to peel and slice the remainder, splash with lemon and salt, and quickly eat it before anyone sees you getting more than your share. I had a giant tree in California, and I never gave any away. I used to make guacamole and freeze it. My Mexican friends leave the "bone" in it to prevent browning.

I almost forgot. If you're more hungry than a few slices will satisfy, make a sandwich with whole grain bread, Best Foods mayo, avocado slices and salt. Mmmmm.

I lived in CA also and I sure miss it. You can spread butter on the cut edges, leave the seed in if you want to, and it will keep pretty good. you can easily cut off the brown edges and eat the rest of it. Always handle gently so as to not bruise them or that part will go bad quickly.
the geni.

The best way I've found to store them once they are cut is, either with or without the pit (I remove it) wrap it in Saran or other plastic wrap and press it close to the flesh, admitting no air. You can brush it first with citrus juice but as others have noted that will mess with the texture. I very seldom have any left over; I just fill 'em with mayo (somebody mentioned "Best Foods" and I believe that is the same as "Hellmans" here in the Southeast, and unless I make my own that is all I use), sprinkle with paprika and maybe a touch of garlic powder, and woof it down! I love those things. (And I'm gettin' hungry!)

Oh, and yes, by all means if you're going to keep it put it in the fridge. The idea is to keep air off of it, but it will also need to be kept cool. I wonder... I haven't tried this, but I wonder how it would work to put a thin film of olive oil on the cut parts before putting the plastic wrap on them. Has anybody tried this?

I agree the best way to store avocados is to splash with lemon juice with the pit still intact, put in a plastic bag and in the fridge. Another good way to enjoy avocados is make a wrap with hummus, avocado covered with some lemon juice and salt and pepper. Yummm!! Warning: you'll get addicted!!

The absolute failsafe way to store a cut avocado and stop it discolouring is to wrap it in tin foil and put it in the fridge. My brother is a chef and all the restaurants store them that way. Wrapping any vege in foil will keep it longer too.

How can I keep avocados fresh? Will wrapping them and refrigerating them keep them from turning brown and last longer?

By Myrna

Answers

Avocados are sometimes fickle: I've had some that never ripen, and I've also had some that just stay hard on the outside, but rot on the inside.

That aside, you can speed up the ripening process by putting them in paper bags. That allows the natural off-gassing of the fruit (methane?...I don't know exactly what gas it gives off) and will help it self-ripen. Once they get a bit pliant (they have a bit of 'give' if you squeeze them with your thumb) I put them in the fridge and there they can last as long as a couple of weeks. I don't wrap them at this point: they are fine just sitting on the shelf as is.

Please note that if you put an avocado in the fridge too early - before it ripens, it will stop the ripening process altogether and they will never get soft. Again, I'm not sure why, but that would be the source for another question on this forum (any takers?).

Also, if you like avocados, try avocado shakes! Add a half an avocado to some soy milk, add agave nectar to taste and, boy, do you have one killer beverage!

For an avocado that's ripe when cut into, how long will the avocado keep with the lemon juice? It is just cut in half, not sliced or mashed. One side has the pit in it yet. The other will have the lemon. How long will it keep without turning brown?

By Nancymae C.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My sister has a grove of Avocados in Homestead, Florida, (just south of Miami) and she brought me some beautiful Butter Avocados and just could not resist sharing this picture. These are smaller than normal if you can believe that!

By whiitewolf from Fort Pierce Florida

Avocados from Florida

Comment Like this photo? 1