Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dishwasher Rack Coating is Coming Off

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can substitute for the liquid vinyl dishwasher rack repair that is sold in bottles? The tines on my dishwasher rack are showing signs of wear and I would like to repair them before they get worse.

I cannot find it in any stores, only as an on-line purchase. The on-line price is reasonable, but the shipping is very high. Replacing the dishwasher rack is expensive. I have called a few auto repair stores and did not get any help.
Thank you for all your help.

By Mike from NE PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]02/04/2010

I have something by Rust-oleum called "Appliance Touch-Up. It's a small bottle that looks like a bottle of nail polish. You could go to their website at www.rustoleum.com and ask where you can find it. I'm thinking I could have found it at Wal-Mart. I had my husband use on my dishwasher rack where some of the vinyl coating had worn through and there was bare metal. So far so good and it's been a while since he did it. Also there's an 800#:
1-800-481-4785

By it's.only.me [165]02/04/2010

UPDATE...
I found what I was looking for, "ReRACK", it is sold at some ACE hardware and other stores. It costs about $7.00. I called a local ACE hardware store and they did stock it. If you have a ACE hardware store in your area and they don't have it, ask if it can be ordered.

You can find information about "ReRACK" and other products on their web site. I find this site very interesting for solving some household problems. Most of their products can be bought in participating stores. Just check their web site for locations.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/ReRACK

In the past, when I used ReRack, I matched the color with my rack. This time I won't do that because you have to apply a second coat. Since the color matched the dishwasher rack it was very difficult to see where the first coat was applied.

It is a good idea to use "ReRACK" when the tines on the dishwasher rack starts to show signs of wear. If you wait too long, the problem can get worse and it is more difficult to repair. Replacing a dishwasher rack is expensive.

By Sherry [1]02/03/2010

Thanks for the reminder! I need to do this myself! I bought a can of Plasti Dip at Home Depot in the paint department alongside the spray paint. I used to get it in a spray but haven't seen that for a very long time. Only downfall is you can only get it in black and red. It was about $6 for a 14.5 oz can. It can be used for coating anything. I need to fix my dishwasher rack and have some cheap pliers and etc that come uncoated...cheaper to buy uncoated and do it yourself. You will find a lot of uses for this stuff.

By OliveOyl01/29/2010

Amazon has this for $4.99 + $3.00 shipping. It is a worthwhile expense to repair your racks. I did this repair myself maybe 7 years ago as my racks were rusting in spots and the racks are still good today.

By pam munro [447]01/29/2010

You could use the coating they use to fix porcelain bathtubs (I just got some from the dollar store) - or thick coats of cheap white nailpolish - or go to the auto supply store & buy white auto touchup paint!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dishwasher Rack Coating is Coming Off

The coating on my dishwasher racks is starting to come off and it is leaving rust spots on my dishes. Any way of fixing this? Thanks.

Gloria from Saskatchewan

RE: Dishwasher Rack Coating is Coming Off

My husband the appliance tech tells me if the rust is only minor there is special paint kits you can get from the manufacturer of your dishwasher. If it's a bigger problem you are probably going to fork out some bucks for new racks. Check your warranty first. Some dishwashers carry limited warranty on racks. (12/15/2008)

By DEBRADJ

It has been awhile, but I had the same problem and they do sell a rubbery paint to coat the rack with. I would check at a store that sells dishwashers. (12/15/2008)

By Karla

Check your local home improvement store or look online. There is a product made specifically for dishwasher racks that you paint on the bare spots and it will dry into a rubberized coating that will stop the rust and protect your dishes. It takes 24 hours to cure, but is well worth it. I purchased a bottle several years ago and it worked great. Sorry I don't remember the name, but it came in a bottle like nail polish or car touch up paint with a small brush built into the cap to make touch up easy. (12/15/2008)

By readingiggits

Go to improvementscatalog.com and in their search space type in "dishwasher rack repair kit". You can also buy the kits at Ace Hardware stores. You can also go to Google.com and do a search for "dishwasher rack repair kits" and you will get many more choices to choose from. Good luck. (12/15/2008)

By Grandma Margie

The easiest and fastest way is rubberized spray paint you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. It is generally used to coat the handles of tools for people who prefer a soft, more secure grip. They may not sell it in white which I assume your tray is. If you prefer white, I would try one of the repair kits (suggested by others here) which might be more costly and time consuming, but which will get a more aesthetically pleasing result. (12/20/2008)