Mop Floor with Dishwasher Detergent

I was reading about using dishwasher detergent for something, and a light came on in my head. Here is a really good hint. If you have a floor that you mop, or needs to be mopped and just gets a quick "lick and a promise" (as my mom would have said), I can give you a hint that will put it back in shape with a minimum of work.

Take your mop bucket and fill with hot water. Mix in about a half a cup of dishwasher detergent, or more (I use WalMart brand, which works as good as the more expensive brands). Mop your floor with this mix, using a small, non-scratch pad to hand clean the corners. Rinse the whole floor. You will see a "new" floor without all the grime that was left from the half-way jobs you did when you were in a hurry. I was doing that, thus the need for some real cleaning.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

Are you talking about using automatic dishwasher detergent, or dish detergent that squirts out of a bottle? I would think that either of these would be too abrasive or harsh for a floor. I just use plain water, or a combination of water and vinegar; (a cup or so of vinegar to a gallon of water). Especially on my hardwood floors; I wouldn't dare put anything stronger on them. Sorry to be negative, but I don't think that detergent is a good idea.

It is if you live in a rental and need a quick and easy way to make a floor look decent before an inspection. It goes without saying that this wouldn't be used on wooden floors. Only synthetics.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJuly 2, 2010
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Detergent
Other Uses for Dishwasher Detergent
Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
Saving Money on Dishwasher Detergent
🎉
🎄