Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cigarette Smoke Coming Up Through My Vents

Is there any "green" way to get rid of cigarette smoke coming out of an air conditioner vent? I live in an upstairs apt. and person below smokes and it comes thru my AC vents and I have serious sensitivity to it. I've sprayed with vinegar, used lemons, but nothing seems to help.

Rhonda from River Ridge, LA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Joan (Guest Post)08/26/2008

I live in an apartment upstairs too! It's the worst ever! On a hot day when you close all the windows and turn the air conditioner my whole apartment smells like Ive been chain smoking! It's horrible~ I've been complaining everyday. Management just cocked the inside of the vents to close extra cracks. And I use a hepa air filter at the same time my air is on. I'm going to try the renuzit, and keep complaining. Maybe they'll lower my rent. I shouldn't have to put up with this!

By Lani (Guest Post)08/09/2008

I've been having the same problem, with smoke from a downstairs apt. coming thru the A/C vent and into my apt.
The only thing I could figure out to do was to get a portable room A/C and vent it out a sliding glass door in my living room, and not use the building's A/C or you could get a window A/C.

I'm still left with clothing, bedding, carpets and walls that smell. Will try some of the suggestions I've read here.
This has made me incredibly ill and more chemically sensitive to other odors. I pray for people who smoke as I know that part of my own problem is that I used to be a smoker, and now have some COPD (emphysema).

Smoke affects children (as well as adults) in drastic ways: Upper respiratory emergencies (like "croup"), hyperactivity and attention (focusing) problems, irritability and even rage attacks, anxiety, depression, etc., are among but a few of the possible problems.

By donita [23]06/18/2008

hi, i bought some wonder wafers on ebay, they smell pretty good, they must be new out. give um a try.!!!

By pam munro [447]05/10/2007

I lived over a 90 year old chain smoker last year and had to get a room air cleaner to deal with the smoke/smell.

By sandy [63]05/08/2007

I use electric air cleaners that I bought in the grocery store. They cost about $20 but really clean my air. The other thing would be to try to get a filter, like hepa filters and tape it onto your vents. i guess you live in a house apartment and your thermostat is all in one. i am sure they could put another air conditioner unit in for your apartment too.

By Carrie [2]05/07/2007

First, let's get our terminology clear. Smoke can be seen. An aroma can't be seen. So what your are getting is cigarette aroma, not smoke. If there is an aroma, then all aromas from below will come through, such as cooking aromas and such. Why the lower apartment's out-take vents would connect to your AC vents is a problem with the building's venting system, and can be correcting.

Otherwise, I suggest using Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer. It works very well. You can find it at Target and many supermarkets. Alternatively, try Zero Odor at www.zeroodorpet.com . It's pricier, but it leaves no aroma.

Putting anything in the AC may decrease its efficiency and use more electricity, thus higher rent.

By teresa (Guest Post)05/07/2007

try putting a dryer fabric softener sheet in the vent.