AppliancesCleaning

Black Mildew in My Washer

I'm not sure if I am in the right category but our washer has accumulated this funky black junk around the top. I have read so many things about cleaning it and I'm just not sure what steps I should take to make it go away or what to avoid so it does not happen again. It smells like mildew, its stinking up the place. I tried cleaning it with an SOS pad and that got rid of the gunk but not the smell and I'm confused because there are so many things I can do to get rid of the smell as I am just trying to narrow down what I should try. Can someone help me?

Nikki from Suwanee, GA

Is it really IN the washer? You could try running an empty load of just hot water and a ton of bleach. Otherwise, I'd try bleach wherever it is, and lots of it. Good luck!

It does soung like mildew. Do you close the washer lid right away after removing the laundry? I usually let my washer lid open for about an hour or so afterwards to dry out, and once a week, whether it needs it or not, I'll run hot water with bleach into it and wipe it all out, then follow by the rinse cycle.

go to the dollar general get some mold /destroyer spray it will go away i use it on my ceiling, no black spot