Red Hat Hearts Pin

This will delight everyone who loves hearts, who is a "Red Hat Lady", or just the perfect craft for Valentine's Day!

Approximate Time: 1 Hour

• red crochet thread
  • purple crochet thread
  • 6 yards each color per heart
  • scrap felt either red or purple
  • Ad
  • pin back
  • tacky glue, school glue, or duel temp hot glue gun
  • purple flower or button, gem, etc.
  • size "E" hook

Instructions:

1. I used double, so measure out 6 yard of one red, then double it for the red heart, the same for the purple and the same for the red/purple heart in the middle.

2. With hook, chain 2, making a SC (single crochet) in the first chain from hook. Chain 1 and turn.

3. In the same chain one, make a SC in that stitch, and one in each across. Keep doing this till you have a triangle with 10 across.

4. YO (yarn over), and make a HD (half double, is where you could make a double but instead of catching the thread, and pulling it through 2 loops twice, you catch the thread and pull through all three loops), into the 3rd stitch from your hook.

5. Then, make 3 DC's in same stitch, and another HD in same stitch. Connect in 5th stitch, making the first half of your hearts top.

6. Repeat this to make the second half, connecting in the 10th stitch. This makes your second half. Fasten and break off.

Note: When I work with two stands, I always pull one through and then pull them gently together, tying a square knot. This means it won't unravel and then I work in the tail.

7. Now, you have made one heart. Make two more using a solid and the mix, or if you started with the mix, well, you get the idea.

8. I laid my work, once I figured out what I wanted it to look like, on some paper and traced around it. I then cut that out about 1/8 inch smaller all around, and cut that out of felt. You don't want the felt to show, but you need it to be close to the edges.

9. Ad
  10. I thought this was a nice way of displaying it.
    However, you can make the mixed on in the back with the two solids up front, or make the bottom points meet for a "fanned" effect.

11. Once you do the felt, simply glue the felt to the hearts and if you are using bottled glue, weigh everything down.
    Using the hot glue gun will cool faster, but I would not press the crocheted work with my hands. Rather, turn it over and press on the felt.

12. Even cool glue can burn, and you don't want anything to ooze through the work, so use it sparingly.

13. Glue the pin back on and the flower, and you have a nice gift for yourself or to give.

Happy Valentines Day!

By Sandi Allen from Yorktown, VA

Heart Shaped Petal Flower
Heart Shaped Pin Crafts
Crafts Valentine's DayFebruary 5, 2010
templares and fabric cutouts for making hearts
Making Fabric Hearts
child wearing fancy flowered hat
Making a Garden Party Hat
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄