Missing Socks Poem

When my 4 children were young I wrote the following poem that I hope you will enjoy. I sent it to a family magazine and it was rejected (sob), but maybe it will put a smile on your face. :)

I have finally solved the problem
that has puzzled us mothers for years
why so few of our kids socks
emerge from the dryer and the others disappear

The detergent is the culprit!
While it cleans many a pair
once it gets MY kids dirt out-
There's nothing left but air!

Signed,
Carol Young
who married at 17 became a mother at 18 and lives (and laughs) to tell about it

Source: me

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Well, all I can say is STUPID MAGAZINE!! This is cute and possibly the best reason I've heard for the missing sock problem. I don't have your early marriage and motherhood history but I have reared 3 boys, had cancer twice, and lived with their perfectionist dad for 35 years so I think I also deserve a medal!

What do magazines know. Loved your poem and I'm a poet.

Also married at 17, raised 4 kids and enjoy 7 grandchildren along with many hobbies.

Blessings to you both. And go eat some chocolate as a well deserved reward, hey you need those antioxidants with such a demanding schedule:)

Carol

Keep writing, you're great. I'm thinking, a book of children's nonsense poetry? Skies the limit!

Well, girl... I had my first daughter at 15, also married the first time at 15, had 4 more kids and 4 more husbands. Now am 51 with 13 grandkids and 1 on the way, and 2 great grandkids with 1 on the way. No husband, thank you very much! The last one, broke me of the habit! And it took this many years to finally learn the deep dark secret of where all those missing socks really went!! LOVED the poem, cute as can be!

I remember well when all the kids were home in the mornings getting ready for school. Every morning someone would sing out, MOM I can't find any socks to wear! I'd say I don't lose em or wear em! Get something out of the stray sock box! You ought to have heard all the groaning! So from then on out I started making them sort and fold the socks! I'd do the rest. One of our problems and I'm sure you've went thru it also. Someone always stole their sister's or brother's socks to wear. My youngest though was lucky, he was 8 yrs. younger than the other youngest, so they couldn't wear his. What did he start doing when he got older? Stole mine! God bless my children, I love them! Grandbabies too!

Love the poem. Now I know where my dd's socks went when I did laundry and she only had 3 pair when I was done, lol. Kept wondering where the other socks went.

Parenting General Parenting Joys of MotherhoodMay 9, 2008
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Daddy's Changing Diaper
Daddy's Diaper Dooty Poem
🎄
🍂