Smoke Smell In Food Container

Does anyone know how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of rubbermaid food containers? They were given to me, and other than the smell they are in great shape, so I would like to keep and use them if I can get that smell out. Thanks a lot!

Sheila

HI. Besides thinking ICH! somebody put out their butts in your food container (don't invite them over again) have you tried soaking them in White Wine Vinegar? That'll take the stink out off just about anything. Believe me, I have 2 kids, 2 cats and 2 smokers in this house! Good luck.

I hate the smell of smoke- it penetrates everything. I notice it when I come back from my parents' house.

Have you tried running them thru the dishwasher with plastic cleaner?

You can also try crumpling up slightly damp newspaper, sealing the container and leaving it sit for a day or two. That has worked for me on food smells in Tupperware and it might work for smoke smell too. The vinegar idea sounds good too!! Good Luck!!

Peach

That's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing (sorry, but I had to laugh)! When I have smells I can't get out of my plastics, I use either white vinegar or baking soda mixed with water (let it sit overnight). When I store these, I put a little baking soda in them in case the smell thinks it's going to come back.

Terry

Cut up a couple of apples and place the lid on.

Should work in no time.

Try putting lemon slices in the bowls overnight. Good luck!

I had some Tupperware containers that had the smell of the spices previously stored in them. I researched ideas on the internet to get rid of the smell. One of the suggestions was to place the containers in the freezer for a few days. Leave the containers open when doing this. It worked for my Tupperware!

I removed smells from plastic succesfully by soaking the container with a solution of bicarbonate of soda and warm-hot water. You may need to do this over a few days but it worked well. If the smell persisits just repeat the process again.

Helen

I have used strong coffee to sit in my containers for a few days depending on how strong the smell is that I am trying to get rid of.

I found that vinegar soaks into plastic and I have had then a vinegar smell to deal with.

leftover coffee you can use.

I only use coffee now for all my plastic smell.

I bought some tupperware bowls on eBay. When they arrived the smoke smell was so strong there was no way I would use them for food. I soaked them in a mixture of baking soda and hot water for several hours then a mixture of bleach and hot water for several more hours.

The smell is completely gone,

Just buy new ones. They are cheap, and it's not worth it to mess with it. You can clean the other ones with vinegar or whatever, but don't use them for food. Maybe just store small toys or other items in there. Or give them away.

Cigarette smell is so gross. My parents smoke and I had a priceless collection of Madam Alexander dolls that were in mint condition. (some were 50 years old, and the newest was 20 years old.) They were stored in their original boxes and wrapped in tissue paper. They were in an unused room at my parents home in the top of the closet with the door closed. Yet they still are ruined and reek of smoke. I tried everything to get rid of the smell and it kept coming back. I tried to sell one on eBay, and the buyer returned it because it smelled so bad. (I thought I had done a decent job of getting the odor out.)

Smoke ruins everything! Yuck yuck yuck! I can't believe smokers can sit in their homes like that and not realize how bad everything smells!

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 14, 2005
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎄