Removing Smoke Smell From Carpets

Category Odors
Cigarette smoke smell can permeate many locations in your house, especially the carpet. This is a guide about removing smoke smell from carpets.

We have recently moved into an new house. The previous owners were smokers. We don't have the money to replace the carpets at this time. What would be the best and cheapest way to get the smoke smell out of the carpets?

Thank you,
Jennifer from Texas

Answers

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Couldn't you sprinkle baking soda liberly all over the carpet? Let it set for a few hours and then vacuum. I would think it would absorb any smoky smell.

By Marylin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We had that in our house. The whole house smelled awful. We washed all the walls down, then Servicemaster came in a fogged the house. This was about 9 years ago and it cost $150 and it's guaranteed forever. We had it done twice and no more smoke smell.

By Sabrina. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use baking soda, boxes and boxes, cover thoroughly, on the carpet;let it sink in for days. Sweep or rake the baking soda in the carpet, then vacuum thoroughly.

For the odor around you, set out open bowls of cheap white vinegar, not where you can spill them, and leave around to freshen the air.

By Nancy Hutchens (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I once had a family of skunks living under my house. The babies play by spraying each other. Once critter control removed the skunks, I spent days trying to get the skunk smell out. ODOBAN (bought at Sams club) worked the best for me. I used it in a carpet cleaner insted of the solution. It got out all the skunk odor.
This stuff works great for everything! Also, natures Miracle (found at petstores) is pretty good.

By Pauline (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use Nature's AIR SPONGE, available on line and at Ace, True Value and Do it Best Hardware stores. It will remove all traces of odor

By Joyce (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My husband just quit smoking (38 years). Until then he was smoking in the recreation room in the basement. I steam cleaned this week adding a product (can be any brand) that says 'pet deodorizer'.

When I ran out of that I added 1/4 cup of bleach per gallon of water plus the normal cleaner. It worked!! Don't forget to clean the walls and windows. Those have smoke on them too!

By Rob (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The smoke smell in most likely in more than just the carpets. You have to clean all the surfaces including cabinets inside and out. Change the HVAC filters. There are many smoke neutralizers that will take care of the smell. Janitorial supply places will have the same type of stuff that Stanley Steemer used in the above post - for alot less then $150. The one that has worked for me, I'm a carpet cleaner is Get the Smoke Out.