Growing Tomatoes Under Lights

Why are the tomatoes I am growing under lights so gangly and have so little fruit?

Answers

My guess is that the lights are either not strong enough, or placed too high above the plants, or both. (They should be as close as they can be without burning the plants--and moved up as the plant grows.) I don't know the exact numbers, I suspect a little online searching can get you the wattage you need, as well as the distance they should be from the plants.

As for no fruit--unless you have pet bees, they may need a little help pollinating! Use a clean small paintbrush to collect some pollen from the blossoms and move it around inside the blossom. I also know nighttime temps. must be above 65 for fruit to set, so if the room they're in gets colder than that at night, you may want to move them.

Good luck; winter tomoatoes would be nice! Maybe someone who knows more will add more!

Growing Tomatoes, Red Tomatoes on White Background
Growing Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMarch 13, 2007
Growing Tomatoes in Containers
Growing Tomatoes in Containers
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Start Tomato Plants from Stems
Starting Tomato Plants from Cuttings
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 5:05:26 PM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.