Reroot Tomato Suckers as New Plant

Category Cuttings
Tomato suckers are really easy to root and expand your plant count and thus your harvest. This is a guide about reroot tomato suckers as new plant.

Cut tomato suckers, bury them in garden soil with added vermiculite (which absorbs 10x its weight in water), cover with a clear juice jug with bottom cut out and no lid. Keep it watered and it will root. New plant! Now that's thrifty.

Top Comment

I got 45 new tomato plants from FOUR original plants, by plucking off the suckers and just sticking them in soil - only a few suckers didn't root. This extends your tomato-growing season and saves a lot of $$ because you're not buying more plants!

I've been doing this for years. It's a good way to keep a supply of give away plants. I do let my suckers get larger than pictured here. The longer the stem, the more area to develop roots, and that means the new plant will mature earlier.

Thanks and thumbs up.

Anonymous

I've done this, and the suckers have better fruit than the main plant!