Prepare Food in Advance for Holiday Meals

Prepare things in advance. For instance, I always prepare holiday desserts a day or two ahead of time. I peel and cut my potatoes the night before the big day and then place them in a pot of water and store it overnight in the fridge. The cold water prevents browning and then all I have to do is cook and then mash the potatoes. Anything that can be done a day or two ahead of time, helps keep the rushing around like a lunatic to a minimum.

By Sabrys from Salem, IN

I love your idea about keeping the peeled potatoes in water in the fridge overnight and it's also a good way to conserve water by using the same water to boil ;-)

I take it a step farther - go ahead and cook & mash those potatoes before you refrigerate.

Then all you have to do is re-heat them.

And cook the turkey the day before and serve in a crockpot the next day. All our family volunteers to bring a dish to the host family and the host family provide the potatoes and turkey. Helen Rae-Amasa MI

You can make the potatoes several days ahead and freeze them. Put them in the crock pot when you warm them. Bread can be made a day or two ahead and warmed in the microwave. I have a dessert that I make even a week ahead and freeze.

I don't like preparing the main part of the dinner ahead of time. But I do make the pies/desserts, cookies, and breads ahead of time. Just doing this takes a lot of the pressure off.

Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Cooking TipsNovember 23, 2009
Crockpot
Saving Time With Your Crockpot
Cooking Ahead to Save Time
Cooking Ahead to Save Time
Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
🎉
🎄