Homemade Thermos

How do you make a homemade thermos?

By Pipi from Hungary

Well first you need to get a styrofoam cup and wrap it in aluminum foil then make a glass layer outside with a vacuum that conducts no heat place another layer of metal outside that to reinforce the fragile glass layer and make a cap.

Styrofoam, duct tape, bubble-wrap, cling wrap, aluminum foil, fiber glass, news paper, foam, (etc.)

February 14, 2011 Flag

My son needs to build a hot thermos for school and needs help. Thanks.

By Tom from Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Homemade Thermos

You could use the foil covered bubble wrap-like stuff that car windshield sunshades are made of. Wrap it around a container, and duct tape securely, decorate if necessary with Contact paper, decals, etc. If you don't have any sunshades to spare, use bubble wrap and aluminum foil. I kept horse water buckets from freezing solid that way. (12/10/2009)

By old dog

December 7, 2009 Flag

We need to make a thermos that can keep an ice cube from melting with stuff from home. Any suggestions?

Sheri from Niagara Falls, ON

Homemade Thermos

If it's for a school project or something like that, just take some old pieces of packing Styrofoam that were used to surround a new VCR or whatever (not the peanut type, actual large pieces of foam) then cut them to shape. If you don't have any pieces of Styrofoam either go to an electronics store and ask them if they have any or, you can buy a piece of foam insulation for around $5 at any Home Depot store.

It comes in many thickness all are under $7, the thin ones are only $3. Next, cut these to the size you prefer, then glue together *PRESTO* you have a mini ice cooler. If you need a lid, then carve the top foam to fit into the bottom sections. Another idea for foam is to glue together pieces of foam board until it's the thickness you need (Dollar Tree sells sheets of it). To make you homemade cooler really work, add aluminum foil to the inside and outside of the foam.

Second Idea: If its not a school project, but you just need to keep things cool in the car or on a short trip whatever: You are gonna think I'm nuts, but I like to take frozen treats with me on long drives during the hot months and I use the arms cut off of wool sweaters. Put one or 2 inside of the other one and put your stuff in a bag and put it inside.

To do this the right way, add 2 of those blue cooling blocks or re-freezing gel after you've put your stuff in the wool sweater sleeves, put one blue-ice thing on one side and one on the other. I've had frozen yogurt and frozen mango chunks stay frozen for several hours this way. Popsicles will stay frozen about an hour. Lastly you can wrap the sleeves inside of the rest of the sweaters. (the body of the wool sweater)

The theory is: If something can keep you warm, it can also keep you cool. When I bring home frozen stuff, I'll wrap the bags up with one or 2 of my winter coats for added insulation. (04/26/2008)

By Cyinda

Homemade Thermos

Aluminum foil is pretty good and white paint will help reflect the heat from the sun. (05/15/2008)

Homemade Thermos

Use fibre glass and then cover it. (05/27/2008)

By Julia

Homemade Thermos

Use duct tape and bubble wrap. Heat can't transfer through. (05/28/2008)

By Bob

Homemade Thermos

Use duct tape, aluminum foil and a see through container. (06/02/2008)

By Julia

Homemade Thermos

(submitted via email)

It would work better with black paint covering the whole container with bubble wrap and lots of tin foil.

Dominc (11/19/2008)

By jess

April 25, 2008 Flag

What are some good insulators for a homemade thermos that will keep 300ml of soup warm for 4 hours?

Katie from Miami

Homemade Thermos

Get a small box that is just a bit larger than your soup container. Wrap the soup container with aluminum foil with the shiny side in (facing the container) and place the container inside the box. Add Styrofoam packing peanuts to fill in the empty spaces that surround the container. Styrofoam is a pretty good insulator; it should help to retain heat in the soup. The aluminum foil's shiny side will help to reflect the radiant heat released by the hot soup back into the container. I have always been a hoarder of packing materials and small boxes and pick them up at work from the trash heap. These items usually lurk near trash cans behind stores, if you don't have access to them at a place of work.

Another method would be to use expanding foam to fill the empty spaces between the box and the soup container. See this website for a DIY project where a guy made a homemade thermal carafe: http://www.thinkythings.org/carafe/build.html You could use another bowl that is larger than your soup bowl for the outside container.

Good luck (01/23/2007)

By P.

Homemade Thermos

Another thing to use is foam peanuts and paint both containers with black/dark paint. (10/12/2007)

By Sarah from New York

Homemade Thermos

Using a rubber material or reflectors would slow down the process of cooling the liquid. (10/17/2007)

By kahunstin

Homemade Thermos

Great way to make a thermos:

I would suggest to use a lot of aluminum foil this way it reflects. This is great for people trying to keep things cold. It actually made my experiment colder.

All you need is the foundation. (04/21/2008)

By mike

Make Your Own MiscellaneousFebruary 14, 2011
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Cleaning a Thermos
Cleaning a Thermos
stainless steel thermos
Replacement Parts for Gott Thermos
Finding Replacement Parts for a Gott Thermos