Removing a Singer Sewing Machine From a Cabinet

I have an older Singer sewing machine. I wish to take the machine out of the cabinet, but do not know how to get wire out of hole on the side. It has a box inside for knee use instead of on floor. Any ideas?

Joan from Canada

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

??? Why would you want to take it apart ???

Like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Roo 11 Flag

I am assuming it's a Singer 15-91 or similar. When the knee pedal was added (I love them! Far better than chasing a foot pedal all over the floor while I'm trying to sew!) the machine was wired into the cabinet. If you really must take it out, you will have to undo some wiring. If you are planning to replace the machine with a more modern machine, please be aware that only certain Singers will fit in the hole that will be left. Most of the older full-sized Singers will. But two things have to fit: the overall footprint of the machine and the diameter and spacing of the hinge-pins behind the machine. I would not bet on a modern machine fitting that vintage cabinet. Measure very carefully before you try. Also, please be aware that most of those cabinets were made to much higher furniture standards than today's furniture. And when in good condition, the cabinets are getting scarce...they are starting to get more scarce than working sewing machines that would fit into them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

closeup of old machine in cabinet
Removing a Sewing Machine from Its Cabinet
Crafts SewingOctober 10, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
closeup of old machine in cabinet
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
vintage sewing machine
Removing Foot Pedal from Inside a Singer Sewing Machine Cabinet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 1:43:39 PM on 10.0.1.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings