Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing a Singer Sewing Machine From a Cabinet

I have an older Singer sewing machine. I wish to take the machine out of the cabinet but do not know how to get wire out of hole on the side. it has a box insde for knee use instead of on floor. Any ideas?

Joan from Canada

By Roo05/25/2011

I am assuming it's a Singer 15-91 or similar. When the knee pedal was added (I love them! Far better than chasing a foot pedal all over the floor while I'm trying to sew!) the machine was wired into the cabinet. If you really must take it out, you will have to undo some wiring. If you are planning to replace the machine with a more modern machine, please be aware that only certain Singers will fit in the hole that will be left. Most of the older full-sized Singers will. But two things have to fit: the overall footprint of the machine and the diameter and spacing of the hinge-pins behind the machine. I would not bet on a modern machine fitting that vintage cabinet. Measure very carefully before you try. Also, please be aware that most of those cabinets were made to much higher furniture standards than today's furniture. And when in good condition, the cabinets are getting scarce...they are starting to get more scarce than working sewing machines that would fit into them.

By (Guest Post)10/11/2005

??? Why would you want to take it apart ???
Like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"