Removing a Sewing Machine from Its Cabinet

Sometimes you need to remove your machine from the cabinet to move it, clear, or for repairs. This is a guide about removing a sewing machine from its cabinet.

Are Kenmore sewing machines easy to remove from the sewing desk it comes with? I want to purchase a used sewing table/cabinet that has a Kenmore machine in it, but I have my own, well working Kenmore machine I want to use with the used table. I haven't purchased the table yet.

Answers

Best Answer

I have a singer, but they should all be similar. There are screws on tbe bottom that let you remove the machine head from the table.

I was given an older treadle machine, and I want to know how to take the machine out of the cabinet so I can move it to my home. It is very heavy, so if I separate the two parts I can put it in my SUV. Thanks.

By M. E. Case from Kent county, DE

Answers

It should un-screw from the bottom.

Where of the bottom? It is the type that you lift up the cover and the machine lifts up, and the top becomes a sewing surface. Do you unscrew it at the hinge? Thanks

I have an older Singer sewing machine. I wish to take the machine out of the cabinet, but do not know how to get wire out of hole on the side. It has a box inside for knee use instead of on floor. Any ideas?

Joan from Canada

Answers

By (Guest Post)

??? Why would you want to take it apart ???
Like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I am assuming it's a Singer 15-91 or similar. When the knee pedal was added (I love them! Far better than chasing a foot pedal all over the floor while I'm trying to sew!) the machine was wired into the cabinet. If you really must take it out, you will have to undo some wiring. If you are planning to replace the machine with a more modern machine, please be aware that only certain Singers will fit in the hole that will be left. Most of the older full-sized Singers will. But two things have to fit: the overall footprint of the machine and the diameter and spacing of the hinge-pins behind the machine. I would not bet on a modern machine fitting that vintage cabinet. Measure very carefully before you try. Also, please be aware that most of those cabinets were made to much higher furniture standards than today's furniture. And when in good condition, the cabinets are getting scarce...they are starting to get more scarce than working sewing machines that would fit into them.

How do I remove my bottom cabinet bracket from my sewing machine? It's a Singer 9420 and the bracket is a Singer 969074.

Answers

Your Singer is a 'free-arm' machine so I'm assuming it's been fitted into a specialty cabinet for free-arm machines - not something I have any experience with as here in Scotland most Singer free-arms are used as portables on a table top.

Try emailing this man - look for his contact link on his home page:

http://www.tandtrepair.com/

He offers free and low-cost downloads, parts, and generously gives info on specifics via email.