Removing Air from Ziplock Bags

By anne 58 78

We will never buy the vacuum seal machine and expensive bags because we vacuum seal the easy and frugal way. Place contents in a ziploc bag and immerse in a sink full of water, keeping opened end of bag just above the water line. The pressure of the water against the outside of the bag will force out all the air in it. And, voila, it's done. Zip shut and you're good to go!

By annelaundrie from Green Bay, WI

Showing: Comments Sort

thr522587 Flag

I am going to have to try this! Thanks so much for the tip!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Keeper 58 1,055 Flag

I tried it. It works. Thanks a million.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karen 11 35 Flag

I have the expensive bag sealers and really like them but sometimes they don't seal properly. Do the bags stay sealed using your method and for how long? Appreciate your suggestion and will try it. Thanks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Betty 104 753 Flag

Good idea. Just one less gadget taking up space in the kitchen. I bought a Seal-A-Meal one time on a whim and after reading the directions figured it was more trouble that it was worth and returned it to the store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By tahlula 4 203 Flag

Simply brilliant! Thanks

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

I voted your tip down because there is a much simpler and just as frugal way to get the air out of the bags. Just prior to sealing the bag, simply put a drinking straw in and then seal the bag all the way over to the straw. Then suck the air out through the straw. When the air is all out, quickly pull out the straw and seal the last tiny bit.

Works every time!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Teresa Tart 1 345 Flag

The only thing about this is you have to run a sink full of water every time you want to seal something. If you have a water bill that is going to cost and if you don't that is wasting water unless you can think of another way to use the water. Reusing the water may not be a problem some times but there could be times when you are in a hurry or can't thing of a way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lois 2 5 Flag

Then what do you do with the water? In CA we can't waste water. The poster who uses a straw has to be careful of what is in the bag. She can be inhaling something like salmonella. If the contents are solid, just lay the bag on the counter, press out the air, and ziplock. If the contents are liquid, freeze them in a rigid container, then remove and put them in a freezer-safe bag. It makes them easier to stack in the freezer, too. I have the Foodsaver, and love it. I also freeze bread before vaccuum packing. The bread doesn't get mashed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Peggy 63 173 Flag

I use the straw method myself. This seems too wasteful of water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 4 738 Flag

I also use the straw method with great success. (To the poster who said you might ingest something...you have more control than that!) We don't have a water bill; but I would never want to waste that much water--though if you were packaging up a bunch of items to freeze (such as a couple of family packages of meat purchased on sale), you could probably do with a mixing bowl of water and it would be great. In fact, it might be worth buying a bucket at the dollar store to use; then afterward you could use the water for something else (like plant watering, pouring into another bucket for mopping, etc.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Hearts1 12 31 Flag

I don't know why you said we will never buy a sealing machine! I received a Food Saver for my 60th birthday and love it! Not only can I buy in bulk, but it saves food far longer than any Ziplock Bag can!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By sherry 1 Flag

Great idea I am going to tell family and friends. Thank you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JULIA 1 7 Flag

My partner has bought me two of those stupid machines! All they do is take up space in the drawer and waste my time getting them in and out. They don't take all the air out of a bag either! Thanks for your hint.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Seems like comparing this method to the food saver is comparing apples and oranges. Air will return to the plastic bag as well as moisture (plastic is permeable, the food saver bags are not). The long term moisture airfree storage would not be there with the plastic bags.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

I close the bag almost completely. I insert a soda straw, taking care not to touch the food inside, and draw the air out and quickly close the remainder of the zipper. I just take my thumb and press the zipper closed while quickly yanking out the straw.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By vshepardsmith 1 Flag

I just came across this thread. I love these great ideas. I just put up a bunch of Brussels sprouts and used the straw method. However I used the air mattress blow up/suck out pump with a straw attached. It worked wonderfully. Of course you'd have to be careful of moisture and particles getting sucked up into it. I'm sure that's not recommended usage ;) but it worked!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

Don't know that this method would keep out freezer burn and keep contents good for very long. We have a foodsaver and make very good use of it and it ends up being a savings when there's no food going to waste. I watch for the bags to be on sale or use a coupon.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Previous
Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 12, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Bag aquarium.
Making a Ziplock Garden or Aquarium
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:00:28 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings