Bath Mat Left Black Marks On Floor

The previous owners had a mat in the bath. Now I'm left with small circular black marks. I've tried lots of products but with no success. Any ideas?

Theresa-Marie from Austin, Texas

It must be mold marks that have seeped into the flooring, right? Anythng else could probably be scraped up or cleaned some way. Why don't you try making a strong bleach concentration and letting it soak. Even if it fades soem of the color it should look better than black marks.

I'm unsure which product to recommend since I'm unsure of what type of flooring you're dealing with. The basics that never let me down are white vinegar, hot bleach water, lemon juice, oxyclean, soft scrub, and detergents. Hope one of them works for you! Take care if it's carpet not to bleach it of course;)

The same thing happened to me. A scatter rug with a black rubber pad left a stain and nothing I tried worked so I have to live with it. Of course it is not mold.

I didn't have black marks, but I have had a discolored oval from the rubber of a bath mat. I don't think that you can get rid of it. Hopefully it will fade with time as it is exposed to light. If it is too ugly, the best remedy may be to cover it up with a new bath mat that you like.

Just reread your post. Are the stains on the flooring or in the actual tub? If these are in the tub, they are a whole different story, and cleaning them depends on whether the tub is fiberglass, enamel over steel, or whatever else tubs are made of. I am not sure what to suggest.

If it is in the tub, the best, most effective, and easiest way to get rid of them is to fill the tub with HOT water and about 1 1/2 cups bleach (more or less depending on how big your tub is). Leave it to soak for at least an hour. Be sure to leave the vent going and/or the window open for ventilation while doing this.

After it soaks, drain it and rinse well. If you're lucky, it will be gone. If not, wait a few days or a week and try it again. Over time, it should finally go away. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 26, 2008
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Purple Yoga Mat
Cleaning a Yoga Mat
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks