WWII Parsley Honey

I thought to share this recipe that has been used in our family for many years. My Nan made it during the war years and I recently got the recipe from my mom to share with everyone. It's been used as a tonic and an aid to digestion by many a generation in our family. Plus it tastes delicious!

• 5 oz. parsley (stalks and all)
  • pint and a half of water
  • 1 lb. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. white vinegar

Using a nice large saucepan, add your washed parsley to the pan then add one and a half pints of water.

Simmer the liquid until you think that it's reduced to about a pint of liquid. (Mom has now means of measuring, this is just done by 'eye').

Now strain that liquid into a jug then return just the strained juice back to the pan. Add 1 lb. of sugar and stir until thoroughly dissolved. Add 1/2 tsp. of vinegar.

Bring to the boil then simmer til the liquid looks like the consistency of honey.

Then take off the heat to cool before putting in hot jars (that have been washed in very hot water, otherwise the glass will crack).

That's it!

Source: My Mom

By Monique63 from Somerset, UK

Sounds interesting! Remember that a "pint" in England is 20 ozs. not l6 ozs. as it is in the U.S.

Food and Recipes Recipes Family FavoritesJuly 20, 2009
Fresh Parsley
Storing Fresh Parsley
Orange Honey Sauce
Orange Honey Sauce Recipes
Freezing Parsley
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes