Treating Dogs for Worms

My dog is excreting worms. They are white and sometimes pink. I don't know what to do. Are there any pills I can buy for him without going to the vet?

By Yinette

Best Answer

Please do not self-treat a dog or cat. Take the stool sample to your Vet, if the pet has worms, they will give you treatment depending on what type of worms they find and the weight of your pet.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Best Answer

Food grade diatomaceous earth for intestinal worms. Natural, easy, safe.

Best Answer

Yes, there are many different kinds of worm pills you can buy without going to a vet. Go to your local pet store, and ask them what they recommend for the type of worm that you describe.

I agree with Patty Lynn, go to your local pet store. I've gotten money saving tips from the staff in the grooming salon at PetSmart. My dog recently had a sore on his tail (not the but) and when I called the vet with a simple question (can I put antibiotic cream on it?) They would not even give me a yes or no answer. I was told to bring him in that he may need an antibiotic. I never took him in because I could tell it was not infected. I put the cream on it as PetSmart told me and the sore was gone in two days. I'm researching vets and I'm probably going to change.

Diatomacious earth. Must be food grade; the other has poisons in it for the garden. Google dosage. Safe, inexpensive, natural, simple. Good to keep on hand and dose regularly. Will not kill heartworm, only intestinal worms.

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. There is NOT an over the counter pill that will take care of worms. Please take your pet and a fecal sample to your Dr., so he/she can determine which worms to treat and what medication to use. Good luck.

The only correct answer to this Dogs problem is called a Veterinarian. Please avoid "over the counter" products. Good luck.

November 30, 2010 Flag

I have a 10lb dog and he has worms. I don't have the money to take him to the vet. How can I get rid of them?

By Ann from Bakerdfield, CA

Answers:

Treating Dogs for Worms

Food grade diatomaceous earth for intestinal worms. It's natural, easy, and safe. (08/30/2010)

By muttmom

Treating Dogs for Worms

Check the stool of your doggie and get a good description of the the culprits. It is possible it may be tapeworms caused from fleas, like pieces of worms, you can call the vet and describe the worms and ask how much for the pills. When I lived in OR it was like 5.50 a pill. Be specific they may talk you into full coverage of worming. (08/30/2010)

By PamelaW

August 28, 2010 Flag

I want to know if I can de-worm my German Shepherd female, when she is pregnant?

By Jose from Perris, CA

Answers:

Treating Dogs for Worms

Always check with your vet first, but I think you can. You should wait until after day 40. Your safest choice is Panacur in the suspension form. Using 1 ml per 4 lbs of body weight should work well. Check with your vet, I think you have to give it three days in a row. (01/05/2010)

By caninecodependent

Treating Dogs for Worms

Usually it depends on what wormer your using, but read the info that comes with the wormer. When our bitch was pregnant we didn't worm her just in case, but wormed her when the puppies were 3 weeks old, which is when we wormed the pups as well. But it is best to consult your vet. :-) (01/11/2010)

By Angie24

January 5, 2010 Flag

I think my dog has hookworms. I am out of work. What home remedy can be used to treat her for hook and tape worms? Also, if I misdiagnosed her about the hookworms, would the remedy hurt her?

By sandys778 from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Treating Dogs for Worms

First, why do you think she does? What have you seen? What is the behavior of these worms? Can you call your local humane society and ask them? They may have private donors who will buy you the medicine or have some. (10/05/2009)

By PIKKA

Treating Dogs for Worms

There are 2 different old farmer's tricks that always worked for my grand daddy. One was red man chewing tobacco, and the other was as simple as feeding the dog a can of tuna fish. (10/08/2009)

By dcsprsmm

October 5, 2009 Flag

Is it necessary to treat dogs for worms with Ivomectin, even when they don't have worms or signs of worms?

By dogo from Vancouver, WA

Answers:

Treating Dogs for Worms

No. I would follow them around and get a poop sample and take that (the Poo in, oh, say a clean prescription bottle) just a bit, not a whole poop to the vets. They will test it for just a few dollars and see if you need to worm or not. Taking any kind of meds without needing them can make them immune to them (meds) when they do need them. It is usually less than 10.00 to test the poop.

Good luck. Peace and blessings, Jan (07/01/2009)

By jantoo1

Treating Dogs for Worms

Jennifer, Northern Virginia (07/02/2009)

By ILuvDobes

Treating Dogs for Worms

My 17 year old chihuahua gets a comprehensive exam at the vet every 6 months. At each visit they give her a small vial of de-wormer to take the next day and another for a week later. She is still quite healthy and at times acts like her puppy self. If this is the kind of worming you are talking about I would say to follow the vet's directions. (07/03/2009)

By lavonneann

Treating Dogs for Worms

It sounds like you might mean the heart worm preventive medicine. If so, you should give your dog the heart worm preventive every month. You won't see heart worms, because they stay inside the dog and make him very ill. The treatment to get rid of these worms is very expensive and rather dangerous for the dog.

If you have a dog, you should give him something like 'Heart guard' or whatever your vet prescribes every month, especially in the warm months or if you live in the south. If you only have one dog, it's a whole lot less expensive to prevent problems than to cure them.

As for other worms, if your dog has fleas, he most likely has tapeworm. You should let your vet see him to determine what parasites he might have, if any. Also, no matter where you live, you should use a flea treatment every month. My vet has been giving my dogs an oral pill for flea prevention that seems to work. It's called 'Comfortis.' (07/04/2009)

By Stngray

Treating Dogs for Worms

But please realize that these treatments also can pose a risk to your pet. I'm not saying don't do them, but I am telling you to be aware of potential problems. We spent thousands of dollars keeping our family pet alive after a heart worm treatment given by a new vet in town. He had an allergic reaction and almost died. Now they tell us he is not eligible for heart worm meds. We are very sad about this and our old man does pretty good most days. The reaction caused him to have a heart issue that he did not have before treatment. (07/05/2009)

By notwrong

Treating Dogs for Worms

Ivermectin is a preventative for heart worm. If you vet has told you to put your dog on Ivermectin, that means you live in an area where dogs get heart worm and your dog should be on it. It is a once a month chewable tab and dogs think of it as a treat.

If you don't put your dog on the preventative and they get heart worms, it is fatal. The worms will live in the dogs heart and cause congestive heart failure. It is a gruesome and horrible way for a dog to die. There is treatment available if your dog happens to be heart worm positive, but it costs a fortune and is very very hard on the dog. Do yourself and your dog a favor and put him on the monthly preventative! (07/06/2009)

By Rchinaberr

Dog With Tapeworms
Treating a Dog With Tapeworms
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 30, 2010
A dog and its owner.
Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
Kitten With Worms
Treating a Kitten With Worms
🎉
🎄