Lighting and ElectricHome Improvement

Doily to Brighten Up Drab Lampshade

I recently set myself up a little table for just paperwork, radio and desk calendar. The only shade I could find to fit my lamp was a bit drab. I was unpacking crafts when I ran across a Michael's doily that I only paid $1.00 for. Pinning it on the top to let some pretty light shine through was just the whimsy I needed to cheer up my little desk!

Note: Do not ever drape any fabric or doily over the top of the shade. Even with fluorescent light bulbs, it's too much of a risk.

By Sandi A. from Salem, OR

Anonymous

Love the 'thinking outside of the box' ideas that you share, Sandi, that we all do but simply don't think to share with others. In the mid-80's I was given my paternal grandmothers linen collection and one of the handmade doilies was so beautiful I just had to find something to use it for on a daily basis.

I had one of those old fashioned desk lamps with the glass top that swivels front to back and it looked so plain I decided to dress it up with the doily. Still using it the same way as did a quarter century ago on my living room corner table. The little pink elephants in the photo were part of my grandmothers elephant collectibles :-)

Thanks for making sure to mention not hanging the doily over the top of a regular lampshade too! Definitely would be a fire hazzard. Even though my little lamp has a thick glass top that diffuses the heat I still never put a bulb in it that's over 40 watts.

Anonymous

Here's a photo of that desk lamp 'naked' LOL ;-)

Good idea! I have a few left of several dishcloths I crocheted with colorful thread several years back. Never have used them; they look a lot like the picture. Going to get out my trusty glue gun and attach a couple right now. Never would have thought of this. Thanks. Cay from FL