Make Your Own Liquid Fabric Softener

Does anyone have an idea on a homemade fabric softener to use in the wash? I like to hang my clothes up outside, and usually they turn out stiff.

By craftyladyc

To avoid stiffness in line dried clothing, simply put them into the dryer for 7 to 10 minutes; then hang on the line!

I too line dry (weather permitting, I live in UK) and I find that approximately 1/2/ (half) a cup of white vinegar seems to cut out the "cardboard".

Sorry, I forgot to say that it should be added to the rinse.

I always do the opposite. Hang clothes on the line till dry, then fluff in the dryer before you fold and put away.

6 cups HOT water

3 cups white vinegar

2 cups Suave Refreshing Waterfall Conditioner {or other favorite scent}

What Youll Do:

Mix conditioner & hot water well, until conditioner is dissolved completely.

Add the vinegar, and mix well.

Store in a large container {empty fabric softener container, empty large vinegar bottle, etc}

Pour into a downy ball or use approx. 2 tbsp. in the fabric softener spot in your laundry machine then wash!

This is the recipe that I use for my softner, but I use the cheap VO5 conditioner and I have one clean liquid laundry soap jug full and a one gallon jug full of softener. Plus I make my own laundry detergent.

October 4, 2010 Flag

Instead of using toxic fabric softener and dryer sheets, mix 1 gallon of white vinegar with a $.99 container of hair conditioner. It is very inexpensive and works great whether you pour directly into washer in final rise cycle or use on a terry cloth for the dryer. Please recycle!

By SAS from Unionville, CT

Make Your Own Liquid Fabric Softener

Be sure that you do not use this in a load that has been bleached, chlorine bleach mixed with vinegar will emit toxic fumes. (02/15/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Make Your Own Liquid Fabric Softener

Using the natural softener will not cause any caustic effect if you have used bleach in the load. It isn't ammonia. I have been doing this for a while and it is much safer than what is on the market shelves. (02/15/2008)

Make Your Own Liquid Fabric Softener

Why would you mix conditioner with vinegar? Vinegar itself is a softener as well as eliminating static electricity. (02/15/2008)

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesOctober 4, 2010
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser