Transplanting Moss from the Woods

I hunt a lot and I see lots of beautiful mosses in the woods growing on rocks, rotten logs and the earth. If I pick up a fair sized rock or large piece of bark and place them in the shade in my garden will they need anything else other than misting or watering? Do I need to spray a buttermilk/water solution on them? Thanks.

By Mark from Midlothian, Virginia

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_ot ... article/0,,DIY_13865_5475654,00.html

This site tells how to plant a moss garden. It calls for a buttermilk mixture.

I've done the same thing and all I do is keep it shaded and misted. Several years ago we did away with the grass and let the moss take over. It has taken awhile to cover the ground but other than a light misting it has been no trouble.

You don't need any buttermilk unless you are mixing up the ground up moss to create a "soup" that will contain the spores. I don't really know what the buttermilk is for.

Your chunks of moss on logs and so on will grow just fine as long as they are in a moist place similar to the place you took them from. You don't need to do anything special with them, unless you have to create that moist habitat.

Growing Moss
Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingDecember 9, 2008
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Cleaning Moss and Algae on Concrete
Getting Rid of Moss and Algae on Concrete
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
🎉
🎄