Lower Salt Soups

When preparing homemade soups, use margarine instead of butter and herbs instead of salt.

By Janet E from Suring, WI

I get the herbs vs salt, but why margarine vs. butter? Same amount of fat, butter has a better taste and no trans fats.

I love your idea about using herbs for flavour but please keep it close to natural as possible and use real butter!

For extra health, instead of stick margarine, use Smart Beat or another heart-friendly butter substitute. (Margarine is loaded with transfats, be aware; margarine, on the good side, has Vitamin E.). My favorite in soups is olive oil, which adds good backgroud flavor and texture to the soups and is heart heatlhy.

I would never use margarine, cause it is part plastic.

If you ever sit out butter & margarine. You will notice that the margarine will never get mold on it -- no matter on how long you let it sit.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingFebruary 1, 2007
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments