Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing a Wine Cork Without a Corkscrew

Does anyone know how to remove a wine cork without a corkscrew? Not the end of the world if I can't open it, but i am curious if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks,
Jodi

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Tim10/04/2010

I have heard before that if you wrap a towel on the bottom of a bottle and firmly but not really hard smack it bottom first to the wall repeatedly. It will force the cork out enough to then grab it and pull it out the rest of the way.

By Cram06/06/2010

I tried jamming the screwdriver into the cork to use it like a cork screw and just ended up plunging the cork into the bottle which splashed wine all over my face and into my open eyes. But, the sacrifice my face paid did gain me entry to the bottle and I am now enjoying some zinfandel.

By Jeremiah (Guest Post)01/04/2009

I didn't have screws, and I didn't want the cork in the wine, so here is what I did. I had a couple of small screwdrivers (about 6-8" long, and just thick enough not to snap) and inserted them into the cork so that they crossed and made an X about 1/2 way through the cork, Then I just turned them both, with a little upwards pressure, and viola! I have my wine!

By Jeremiah (Guest Post)01/04/2009

By Tiffany love wine! (Guest Post)12/30/2008

Thank you! The dry wall screw and pliers idea works beautifully!

By Kerri (Guest Post)11/18/2008

The battery worked like a charm. I was in the process of opening my wine with a corkscrew when it broke off in the cork! I just pushed it in with the battery and now I'm enjoying my glass of wine

By ArmyWife4Life (Guest Post)10/09/2008

I needed a glass of wine but no corkscrew. What is a mom to do when the daddy is away and she wants a glass of wine? GOOGLE! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I used a drywall screw & pliers. It didn't quite work at first because I didn't put it all the way through so the tip was coming out of the cork. After I got the screw all the way down through the cork, it pulled right out! wooohoooooo Zippadee doo dah...The baby even went to bed w/o too much trouble and I can sit and enjoy my wine now. I cannot wait to show my soldier my new very useful new skill when he comes home!

By Justin (Guest Post)06/16/2008

I just used a regular drywall screw and pliers. Worked like a charm!

By Jason02/21/2008

Hi guys, this also involves the cork down in the bottle, so hopefully someone in this situation has a partner to help with consumption. Very simple--find an AA or AAA battery, preferrably very clean/new, and something to cushion your hand like a leather glove or towel, whatever. Place the bottle w/exposed cork on a solid surface. Put the flat end of the battery centered on the cork, and with good balance and bracing of the bottle and battery, push SLOWLY down. You'd be surprised how little downward force is needed to slide the cork in. Go slowly and hold on to the battery when you feel the resistance giving way. After that it just takes a tap with a spoon handle or butter knife and viola, enjoy! By the way try to use a new and clean battery or any similar cylindrical object like a chapstick. If the object falls into the wine, then you obviously need more practice. Just kidding.. I would empty the contents of the wine into another container or the willing bystanders right away, or try again on a new bottle.

By J&M (Guest Post)01/11/2008

Well we just successfully opened the bottle by first sticking in a small screw, but that didn't work. Then J took a little pair of scissors that would be typically used to cut eyebrows (you know, women's scissors in their makeup box) and he inadvertently forced the cork into the bottle. Its floating in there... but we have our wine!

By (Guest Post)11/21/2007

It really works! I took a long screw and screwed it in and took some pilers, pried it out and wahlah! It did take some time and some effort but it worked! YEAH

By (Guest Post)11/03/2007

We just hammered a screwdriver through the cork and then pulled the whole thing out! Works great but it takes some muscle!

By Bill (Guest Post)10/06/2007

I found a hook/screw in the basement that works great. Screw it in, pull it out... Works better than a corkscrew. Reaping the rewards as we speak :)

By Tim Vinson (Guest Post)06/05/2007

You don't have a corkscrew? I have found that asking the person next door is usually pretty affective.

By countryboy (Guest Post)04/04/2007

Glass cutter, never leave home without it. Just cut the top off the bottle at the narrowest point, push the cork out, recork the hole when you've had your fill, glass cutter I used costed 12 bucks at wal mart.

By ann [36]12/29/2006

If you know you're going to drink the whole bottle, or if you're desparate enough not to care, take a LARGE headed nail, turn it head side down, place it on the cork, and lightly tap the pointed end with a hammer until the entire cork is down inside. enjoy!

By Irma (Guest Post)12/26/2006

Thank You guys so much. I needed that for after Christmas Wine.

By Ashley and Alexis (Guest Post)11/13/2006

We found that you can even use a plain old 2 inch long screw and and screw it into the cork and pull it out with a pair of pliers. You don't even need a wood screw!

By kenya (Guest Post)10/02/2006

no one has ever worked so hard to open a bottle of wine like my boyfriend, mike!!!we bought a cheap cork screw from a local convience store and within minutes it was broken! we were left corkless...so he went to the car and got a tire iron and tried to fit what was left of the screw in the slot on the inside of the tire iron...one hour later of pulling and warping the poor tool's of its original intended use...our wine was open...wine never tasted so good!!

By Debra (Guest Post)09/27/2005

Grandma Margie is right. Just take a large wood screw and screw it into the cork. Then pull straight up with pliars. Works like a charm.

By (Guest Post)09/27/2005

I have been known to push it it. It will spill a little, but it's SOOOOOO worth it ;o)

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post)09/25/2005

Could you use a common, long, thin woodscrew? Screw it down into the center of the cork but leave enough of it sticking out so you could clamp a pliers on it, and then PULL?