Keeping Track of What is in Your Freezer

When you freeze leftovers, keep a notepad by the freezer and write down what you have got in there. When you have a "don't know what to cook" moment, you will have inspiration.

By Silvercarmel from Cheshire, UK

I also include the date I put the leftover in the freezer.

Good idea! What I do is any leftover I freeze that I want to be sure not to forget is I write a note on my calendar. I also will sometimes send an email to myself.

Also, to go along with this idea, you can use a little piece of paper (I used the 4x4 pads) and write what is there and a date. I take that piece of paper and a rubber band and attach it to the item. This really helps me. Also I can put the small items together so the big ones do not hide them.

I keep track of items in my freezer by using a dry erase marker and writing directly on the outside of the freezer door what I have inside. The pens come in 4 colors so I have 1 color for a 4 month rotation of food. You could just put the date by the item as you put in into your freezer to keep track of how long it's been in there and to know what you need to use next. I also have the dry erase eraser and it comes right off the finish of the freezer no problem.

By tkalenep from Oregon City, OR

Answers:

Keeping Track of What Is in Your Freezer

I wish I known about this before my freezer got so full. There are things in the bottom that somehow went in unmarked and now I have no idea what they are. That is going to be my new year's resolution, getting organized. Then I will use this idea. I think it is very smart. Thanks. (12/03/2009)

By eveh

I finally got tired of opening the freezer and digging through it looking for what I have on hand. It takes just a few minutes for me to write down everything I put in the freezer and also cross off what I take out each time. I keep a steno pad in a drawer by my freezer. This is saving me time, money and energy I have been wasting while digging through the freezer, looking to see what is in there. I note the date, the item, how many if more then one and the weight and lastly the shelf I put it on.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall. TX

Answers:

Great idea! We just purchased a small chest freezer, so I'll start doing this. It would be a good idea to do it for the freezer part of my refrigerator as well! (11/10/2006)

By glowgirl

We do this with spices in our cupboard since we have a ton of them! But, great idea for the freezer! I can't see what is at the bottom, nor can I reach it! (11/10/2006)

By mobo

Sounds like a GREAT idea. Thanks! (11/16/2006)

By minymont

I am 61 years old and I bet I have lost 3 years of my life, not to mention many bucks in wasted energy and food, because I didn't know what was in the freezer. I am going to try a white board or just a good size piece of cardboard covered with plastic, to draw a diagram of the freezer. I plan to use a wipe off marker, either vis-a-vis or white board marker to just wipe it off when I take it out and write in what I replace it with. This one tip has made all those emails from ThriftyFun worth it. (08/27/2009)

By si67oux