Build Your Own Patio Cover

We built a nice patio cover with bamboo fencing, got it from Lowe's. I have potted plants under it. I planted morning glory and ivy vines at the corners. It is covered with pretty blue and pink blooms from spring time till the freeze comes. The vines comes back every spring. The neighbors ask how we did it and how I got the flowers to grow on it, I give them cuttings of the vines.

Build Your Own Patio Cover

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Editor's Note: We have updated this with a photo. It is a little blurry but you can get the idea.

Build Your Own Patio Cover
Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

THANK YOU! ...I am thrilled when I hear stories like this, of people who make something wonderful out of something that's totally different to start with! ... I'd love to see a picture of this great patio cover, but if you're like me & you don't own a digital camera, I understand (& of course, during the winter I bet it's not looking it's best!) I would very much like to make something like this next spring, can you please describe in a little more detail how you built it? If you would, it would be great, for example:

1) What did you use for poles to hold it up? (Metal, Wood & what height & thickness)

2) How large is the bamboo fencing you used? (4' x 6'?)

3) How did you connect the fencing to the poles?

4) Did you bury the poles into the ground?

5) And if you did, did you use cement?

6) Does it get windy where you live & has it stood up to a wind storm?

7) Did you first preserve the bamboo with a stain or a sealer?

8) How does it hold up in the weather & does the rain seem to rot it?

I would also love to see a picture! It sounds great.

I would also love to see a picture if you have one...it sounds great.

Picture, please!

More details please.

Thank you

This is for all that ask about the patio cover we built. The poles or post are wood, 4"x4"x12 ft tall, with 2x4 cross braces. The bamboo is 4x8. You can use any size you like or can get. I guess it's already treated. Attach it to the post with plastic wrap ties that construction workers use.

Yes, the post are in the ground. We used ready mix cement around the post. It does get windy here but not like in mid west. It has stood up to the few storms we have in AL. The weather does not seem to make it rot, but nothing last forever. Hope this answers the questions you all ask, if not let me know, good luck.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Photos GardenJanuary 15, 2009
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Making Concrete Patio Blocks
Making Concrete Patio Blocks
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:29:14 PM on 10.0.2.243 in 937 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.