Question About Ellen

Question:

Ellen,

I just want to know how you know so much about gardening? Did you go to horticulture school or what? I love the newsletter, thanks for publishing it!

Maggie from Chicago, IL

Answer:

Maggie,

I graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Environmental Studies. Although there was a strong emphasis in plant biology and ecology built into my degree, my knowledge of gardening (albeit limited) has come mostly from my own trial and error, from reading about gardening and from talking with other gardeners. I'm also fortunate enough to have parents to whom farming and gardening were a way of life growing up. Although I can't take credit for publishing it (you can thank the folks at Thriftyfun.com for that), I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the newsletter. I love it too, and certainly enjoy being one of its contributors. I think what really sets it apart from other garden newsletters is the willingness of its readers to share their knowledge and experience with each other. When I read everyone's responses to someone's question I feel as though I'm discussing gardening over a cup of coffee with friends. I continue to be amazed by how much we can learn from each other. And let's face it, everyone who has ever tried to grow something has either been successful or failed miserably-both of which gives them first hand experience that can be helpful to someone else.

Happy Gardening!

Ellen

Answers

I enjoyed reading and really am glad you learned by trial and error-because that is how I am learning-a little at a time. Hints can be so important-sometimes booklearning does not deal with the problem in real-life. I know my flowers never look like the ones in the pictures!