Using LED Lightbulbs

LED light bulbs are becoming the next replacement for the incandescent bulb. Their newness in the marketplace and higher cost may cause us to question their purchase and use. This is a guide about using LED lightbulbs.

My refrigerator is a few years old and uses a 15 watt appliance incandescent bulb. Within seconds of opening the door, the light bulb is incredibly hot.

Did you know that by using LED light bulbs instead of regular light bulbs, you can lower your lighting bill by 75%? Also lighting is about 12% of your electric bill (the rest is AC, heat, and appliances).

I don't have lights inside my china cabinet and also wanted something for the holidays that was decorative, so decided to take a 50 light strand of LED Christmas lights and put them at the very top of the cabinet.

We already use compact fluorescent bulbs in our house, which to be really honest, I haven't been very happy with. They burn out much faster than the packaging claims. It seems like I am always saying, "I just replaced that light!"

Because of my disappointment and to be more energy efficient, we would like to switch the lights in our home over to LED bulbs. Due to the greater expense of LED bulbs, we are going to add them one at a time, as a bulb burns out. They are $20 each (at Costco) for the large can lights. Our kitchen has 8 of them, so I am happy to spread out purchasing them!

I am curious how long they REALLY last so I wrote the date on the bulb. The package claims 22.8 years (based on 3 hours per day, 365 days a year)! We shall see. :)

Someone posted about LED bulbs at Dollar Tree last week. At that time, they were $1.00 per bulb. I see that some Dollar Tree stores have quantity 2 60w LED equivalent bulbs packaged for $1.00 per package ($.50 per bulb).

The CFLs are already outdated by new technology, that will eventually replace CFL's, as CFL's are replacing incandescent bulbs, now. The LEDs use a lot less power, are cooler than CFL's and incandescents, and last even longer than incandescents or CFLs.

Those little LED key chain lights are great! They are about two dollars each and give or take a little change, and they are much better for walking through the house when the electricity goes out.