Uses for LED Lights

Category Electricity
LED lights are very energy efficient and thus it is tempting to find lots of uses for them. This is a guide about uses for LED lights.

My refrigerator is a few years old and uses a 15 watt appliance incandescent bulb. Within seconds of opening the door, the light bulb is incredibly hot. No matter how quickly I shut the door, the compressor comes on and stays on to cool the bulb and maintain the temperature in the refrigerator. I tried removing the bulb but that resulted in me having to keep the door open longer to see in the dark.

My solution was to replace the incandescent bulb with a 1.5 watt LED bulb. This bulb remains cool to the touch. While the light is slightly blue in color (warm light LEDs are more expensive), it does give enough light to see throughout and works just fine. The energy savings is considerable, both in decreased wattage (the difference between 15 watts and 1.5 watts) and, as the compressor doesn't have to cool a hot bulb, in reduced energy usage by the refrigerator to keep the contents within cool.

By Solartea from Tallahassee, FL

I don't have lights inside my china cabinet and also wanted something for the holidays that was decorative, so decided to take a 50 light strand of LED Christmas lights and put them at the very top of the cabinet. I left them just the way they were, right out of the box, then added a timer so that that they stay on a specified amount of time. They are a nice "night light" and add a warm glow to the room, and don't use much electricity either.

Those little LED key chain lights are great! They are about two dollars each and give or take a little change, and they are much better for walking through the house when the electricity goes out. There is no danger of them being left on and the battery running out because you have to keep the button depressed to have the light.

We use them instead of flashlights for walking through the house at night also. We have them on a suede craft necklace string and we hang them on the wall until we need them. Each one has their own. We were really getting annoyed at how fast flashlights lost their power and had to have the batteries changed.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN