Use Low Wattage LED Light in Fridge

My refrigerator is a few years old and uses a 15 watt appliance incandescent bulb. Within seconds of opening the door, the light bulb is incredibly hot. No matter how quickly I shut the door, the compressor comes on and stays on to cool the bulb and maintain the temperature in the refrigerator. I tried removing the bulb but that resulted in me having to keep the door open longer to see in the dark.

My solution was to replace the incandescent bulb with a 1.5 watt LED bulb. This bulb remains cool to the touch. While the light is slightly blue in color (warm light LEDs are more expensive), it does give enough light to see throughout and works just fine. The energy savings is considerable, both in decreased wattage (the difference between 15 watts and 1.5 watts) and, as the compressor doesn't have to cool a hot bulb, in reduced energy usage by the refrigerator to keep the contents within cool.

By Solartea from Tallahassee, FL

Something must be wrong for your refrigerator applicance bulb to get hot. Mine never does. Maybe a short to the bulb?

Mine does on my freezer, it can get really hot! I thought the bulbs for freezers are made to use where they might get wet,unlike other bulbs-am I wrong about that? I'd like to use something else too,but would be afraid of getting it wet.

Where do you find these LED bulbs that will fit in a refrigerator?

We had to take our 15-watt incandescent bulb out of our fridge because it stayed on all the time. Hubby said the fridge wasn't level, so the piece that was supposed to hit the switch to turn off the light, wasn't. We couldn't keep much on the top shelf before we removed the bulb because the heat from the bulb made things spoil faster.

Having no light in our fridge doesn't bother me, since I "see" with my hands anyway. But if we can find some LED lights, maybe we could try that? Even if it stayed on all the time, 1.5 watts shouldn't increase our electric bill much.

I would like to know exactly the type (perhaps a picture?) of bulb to buy. They come in so many different shapes.
Thank you.