Marking Light Bulb Wattage on Socket

You can add a bulb wattage notes on the sockets of enclosed light fixtures to make sure they are replaced with the proper bulb. The factory tags can shrivel overtime and be difficult to read.

I purchased a new home that was (sort of) a model. As expected, the builder and contractors used medium-priced light fixtures and low-wattage bulbs. I replaced all the curly CFIs with a yellowish-cast with bright white LEDs. The enclosed ceiling fixtures were somewhat of a challenge; new bulbs had to fit inside as well as not create too much heat.

When the covers were removed, I found that even those lower wattage bulbs had produced enough heat to shrivel the wattage warnings inside the fixture; some had already fallen off (see shriveled tags in photo). When I put in the brighter and cooler LEDs, I wrote the maximum wattage on the base with a permanent marker.

Now I don't have to worry about remembering (or finding my notes) for future bulb replacement.

Total Time: About an hour

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricFebruary 24, 2020
🌻
🐰
🍀