Pruning a Hardy Fuchsia

Can I prune a hardy fuchsia now? If so how close to the ground can I go? I have pruned it in the spring in the past after it begins to leaf out and used that as my guide for how much stem to remove. But this year I would like to take it further back. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Hi Barbara, You should prune the plant after the last frost. Water it and give it an application of fertilizer (18-18-18) at half strength a few days before pruning.Cut away all dead branches and because plant only blooms on new growth, cut to within 1-2 bud sections of previous year pruning.Make cuts just above a bud section. The lowest temp. this plant can tolerate is 40 degrees. Ideal temp. for them is 60-70 and it will cease to bloom when temp. is above 80 degrees. Hope this helps!

Fuchsia Blooms
Growing Fuchsias
Home and Garden Gardening Pruning ShrubsFebruary 6, 2011
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Cape Fuchsia Flowers
Growing Cape Fuchsia
Forsythia Hedge
Pruning a Forsythia Hedge
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:25:51 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.