My Legs Are Itchy

I have itchy legs. What can be causing this?

By Aisha from Mombasa, Kenya

Well, Aisha, hello there in Mombasa. I lived in Kenya once, years ago...how old are you? Dry skin is more common amongst older people, and dry skin can cause itching. The most likely culprit is your soap, or lotion. New brand? For instance Dove soap makes my skin burn and turn red as if it were on fire. New detergents can make skin react, but not just legs. Is there any flaking, or bumps? Any little bug in season? I live in front of a field and something ate my legs last summer when I took the dog out.

Diabetes can cause itching skin, but seems you'd feel it on your arms. Is it unusually windy? That can dry out skin and make it itchy. Have you been eating anything new? New furniture in house, or new pillows? Some fabrics are coated with chemicals to make them stay clean, etc and they can make you itch. Once I went into a craft warehouse type store with lots of imported fake flowers, and I started sneezing and my skin on arms and legs started itching soooooo bad, it was horrific.

Are you taking any kind of medication? Might read up on side effects. That's it, my brain's empty. Except is anyone else in family itching?

One more thing: have you been swimming in ocean or pool lately? Chlorine can cause itching and of course different tides bring in possibilities. How lucky you are to live on the ocean...so lovely.

Aisha, I had itchy legs also. Mine was mainly at night. I was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic as having Restless Legs Syndrome. I am taking a prescription medicine and it solved the problem immediately. If your problem is at night, I bet you have RLS.

Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 22, 2010
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
dining room chairs
Finding Caps for Chair Legs
Running to Make Your Legs Look Better
Making Your Legs Look Better
🎄
🍂