Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Can you lighten dirty blonde hair with lemon juice?

By Kena

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

First of all, yes lemon juice will work to lighten your hair. But, be aware that lemon juice will only work to highlight your natural hair color. What this means is, if you have dark hair, say dark brown, and you use lemon juice to lighten your hair, you will get a lighter brown highlight, not blonde. If you have black hair, you will most likely get a red-tinted highlight wherever you apply the lemon juice. That being said, lemon juice works best as a natural highlighter for blonde to dirty-blonde hair colors. Light brown hair usually returns good results when highlighted with lemon juice as well.

Lemon juice lightens your hair by working with the sun or UV rays. It will not work with a blow dryer. While the sun will lighten hair to a point on its own, the process is slow. The acid in lemon juice hurries the process along.

1. Do not wash your hair before starting the highlighting process. It is best to use unwashed (dirty) hair.

2. Apply lemon juice (not lemon flavored sweetener for drinks--but actual lemon juice. If you can't find lemon juice, get real lemons and squeeze them for this process) to the places you want highlighted. You can apply to your whole head to lighten color uniformly or you can apply it to strands as if you were getting highlights done.

3. After applying lemon juice to desired places to be lightened, head out into the sun. It is important to wear sunscreen as you will be spending at least 30 minutes in the sun. After 30 minutes come in, and wash lemon juice from hair. Repeat this process until desired lightening is achieved. *Note: It is sometimes necessary to perform this process once or twice a day for a few days instead of trying to achieve maximum highlights in one day.

4. Make sure to use a very good conditioner during the lemon juice highlighting process, as the juice and sun are harsh and will dry hair out. Use conditioner every day after highlighting. A deep conditioner is also a good idea to do every couple of days during the highlighting process to keep from damaging hair. Be extra careful of thin or brittle hair.

5. The highlights you achieve are as permanent as the ones you would get at the beauty salon and will not go away unless colored or grown out.

Using lemon juice is a good, natural alternative to getting chemical highlights. It does take a little patience, but the results can be very attractive with a little time.

Again, this method works best for people with blonde to dirty-blonde hair and usually works well on light brown hair as well.

Best Answer

Lemon juice will indeed work but, having been a hairstylist for 35 years, here's a tip that would be easier than waiting for sunshine and just as safe of a choice for a natural sun kissed lightening for your hair. This formula lightens gradually, so it will not be an overnight shock change. Simply spray a 50/50 solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide on your wet hair after getting out of the shower, comb it through, and dry. ;-)

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is everyones hair is different. For some it might work just as well as dye, and for some it may not. The truth is with anything youre doing to your hair there will always be some damage. Whether or not its a lot or if the different processes cause different damage is entirely according to the persons hair. I think that a lot of this is some good insight but ultimately it is up to you, and depends on what you think is good for your hair. Hope that you understand where i am coming from! Thanks. (:

Answer

Use lemon or lime juice and a blow dryer or the summer sun for an all natural and cheap way to lighten your hair. Wet your hair with the lemon or lime juice, then blow it dry or sit in the sun. The heat will cause the juice to "bleach" your hair. Make sure you are wearing a light colored top when doing this. When I did it, I was wearing a dark purple shirt and it is now bleached out. Or at least it looks that way.

Source: My guardian Christina told me about this.

By Noria from TN

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

This method does work, but it dries your hair out something shocking. So if you have coarse, frizzy or flyaway hair, I wouldn't recommend it. I did it one summer and it took me months to get my hair back to it's normal healthy condition (08/31/2010)

By Spanish Girl

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

I must warn you this is like sun damage to the hair. I certainly do not recommend this. I am a retired hair stylist and I had to repair many heads of hair from doing this. You might as well get it professionally done in the first place and save yourself the damaged hair. (01/06/2011)

By Toebeanie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have really dark brown hair (almost black) and I was wondering if I can use lemon juice to high light my hair? And is it okay if you use lemon juice from the store that's prepackaged or does it have to be directly from lemons?

By Jessica from Little Rock, AR

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Unfortunately lemon juice won't lighten your hair, at best it will just leave you with a bit of orange or brassiness. If you have really dark hair and want to go lighter, your best bet is to get it done professionally. Even at-home hair colors should only be used to lighten hair three shades, tops. (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Mollyring is right, lemon juice may work on blondes but for darker hair it doesn't do anything. The sun may bring out some highlights but if you want lighter ones, a beauty salon is the place to go so you don't end up with brassy colorations. (06/15/2010)

By Amy3e

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

With the feedback attached, I would say it is cheaper to go to walmart for at $8 box of dye/lightener than to use kitchen supplies that when you skrew up, you have no help on the phone for questions. Remember, many skrew ups have to be cut off or wait for it to grow out and then cut off. Which is worth your nickel? (06/16/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

Sun-In is a terrible product! Never use it! I personally use a mixture of bottled Lemon Juice and Moroccan Oil (can be bought from professional Hairdressers). It Works Great! While Moroccan Oil is quite pricey ($40 AUST) it is well worth it. I usually start with dry hair, make a mixture of Lemon Juice and Moroccan Oil (90/10) and saturate my hair with it. It is not necessary to go outside, but it may help if you want to go blonder. :) (08/14/2010)

By jimmys123

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I bleach my hair with lemon, will a blow dryer have the same affect as the sun? Does it have to do with heat or light?

By Katie

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

You do need light to bleach your hair. The sun is probably most effective, because the sun has natural bleaching power (I bet if you've left something plastic and colored outside, the color fades over time). I don't know about heat, but for sure light. (02/23/2010)

By annie.ann123wang

Lighten Your Hair With Lemon Juice

I used to go tanning in a tanning booth, and before I went it, I would spray my entire head with Sun-In, and after probably 4 or 5 times, my hair was completely blonde. A very nice color. My natural color is dark blonde/light brown with natural blonde highlights, so my hair does well with Sun-In. If your hair is darker, beware: Sun-In turns it very orange! (05/19/2010)

By JoMama1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hair is naturally light brown. I want it to be blonde, but I really do not want to use hair bleach or hair color. I tried sitting in the sun for 30 minutes with the juice of a lemon and a spoonful of water combed into my hair. I was wondering if there is any way you can get lemon juice to work better, so that I could get dark blonde hair all over?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Will a light bulb work just as well as the sun when I'm highlighting my hair with lemon juice?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hair is a very dark brown. It is not thin, but not thick. I am thinking of dying my hair with 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 water in a spray bottle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently heard that lemon juice can lighten your hair. I know that not everyone's hair is the same, but I thought I would try it out.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've hear you can use lemon juice to lighten you hair. Which works better, lemon juice in a bottle, or fresh squeezed?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Lemon Juice
Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJanuary 19, 2011
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Bottle of lemon juice and a cut lemon
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 12:08:04 AM on 10.0.2.101 in 606 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.