Lightening My Hair with Lemon Juice

I want to have ombre hair, but I find it only looks good with light brown hair. I have dark brown hair and I want it to be a light brown! How long should I sit in the sun? How often should I put lemon juice in my hair? How long till I notice a difference?

By Saidah

Best Answer

I really don't recommend using bleach or chemicals to try and lighten dark hair that has been coloured it's only going to go orange. Lemon juice can work well but you won't get a light blonde out of lemon juice unless you have light hair or never have chemically beached your hair and it is natural virgin hair. Using Paul Mitchell's clarifying shampoo three removes the build up of minerals and chlorine to make colour penetrate the best and makes hair a lush rich colour that will last longer.

Lemon takes too long, I would recommend you hydrogen peroxide since your hair is dark brown. I did this and stayed in the sun like half an hour with the hydrogen in my hair and it lightened and it looked natural the only bad thing is that either with lemon or hydrogen if you have dark hair it will get an orangey color.

If you really want blonde hair at the tips you should use hair dye. I tried doing the ombre "naturally" and I ended up with lowlights, which I actually like since I'm a California girl. This is was taken like 8 months after you really have nothing to lose, your hair will look blonder only in the sun.