Reuse T-shirts for Hand Rags

I enjoy the luxury of having a clean paper towel to wipe all and any messes, but I'm not okay with how fast I could go through a roll, the loss of forests, and the expense.

I live in a household overrun with guys so we have t-shirts coming out of our ears. I take 3-4 of the oldest when I see they are getting raggedy, I get out my good scissors and start whacking away. First the sleeves, cut outside the shoulder seam, and trim away the under seam. I trim away neck and shoulder seams on rest of shirt and cut into 5-8 inch pieces, very crudely. Into the rag drawer in the kitchen they go.

I use them once or twice just like a paper towel, from wiping babies chins, to cleaning up a spill. Then into the washing machine. Almost every load has a few of the little rags. If I clean up something like oil, I throw it away. Because they are washed after 1-2 uses, they stay clean, and because I toss them into the wash as soon as I've used them, nobody really sees them for more than a minute.

It doesn't matter what they look like; strictly a utilitarian function. I'm not sure but others might clean more often because they can use a clean cloth whenever they want.

So I have a large supply of ready, clean, dry rags, and no expense, and no eco-guilt.

Source: My own reluctance to see so much fabric go to waste.

By pikka from Westminster, CO

I have been doing this, too. I have also used my old flannel nightgowns, and other items to cut rags. On the flannel items I use my pinking shears so there is less raveling.

I keep a stack of rags in each bathroom, under the kitchen sink and in the basement. They make great paint rags as well.

I do this too it's a great idea! I use any clothing that has holes or stains (so they can't be donated to Goodwill) and the like. nightgowns, T-Shirts, pants and jeans, my mom's dresses and skirts. nearly anything, really.

And another tip...socks. Socks with holes or socks that are missing the mates, make *great* dust rags. Turn them inside out to dust, then turn them right side out again (so the dust is more contained) before putting them in the laundry.

These rags work for napkins at dinner, too.

I do this as well & love it. The way I look at it, is you would have just thrown the raggy things away anyway. This way they get one more life before they are tossed. The rags I use for general cleaning get tossed in the wash with the towels and get reused MANY times. I keep a tissue box under the kitchen sink with rags that are due to be tossed (too small, too ragged, etc) & use those to clean up yucky things (ie; cat & dog barf) & then just toss them in the trash as you would a paper towel. I do keep a roll of paper towel under the sink too, but it rarely gets used. We are saving money & trees by using less paper goods. So glad to hear that others feel the same as I do.

God Bless

Trish in CT

When my husband's undershirts start wearing under the arms, I replace them and take the old ones and cut straight across under the arm. They make great dust rags and also work well on my swiffer mop.

When dusting and the rag needs changing, I just turn it wrong side out and keep on dusting.

After each use, I knock the dust out and put them in the clothes hamper to be washed.

Another use for old tee shirts. I cut them up int0 thin strips and tie plants to stakes in my garden. They are soft enough not to cut into the plants.

Uses for Old T-Shirts, Mass of brightly colored clothing.
Uses for Old T-Shirts
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsMarch 11, 2010
basket of clothing
Uses for Old Clothing
Skull Caps
Skull Cap Patterns
Baby Quilt
Baby Quilt Ideas
Loose ball of cut up t-shirts for crafting.
Crafts Using Recycled T-Shirts
🎄