Storing Onions and Potatoes

When my pantyhose get a run, I launder them with a regular load of laundry in the washer and then cut them off at the thigh. I use them for holding root vegetables. I put an onion in the toe and then tie a knot, and then add another onion, repeating. The onions lying or sitting directly next to each other hastens spoilage and the knot prevents this from happening. I then make a loop in the end and hang it in my pantry. When I need an onion, I just snip one off at the knot. This also keeps the skins from getting all over (and works with potatoes as well!)

By Denise from FL

Another hint on these two storage vegetables from my husband who is always watching Alton Brown & the Food Network.

Do not store potatoes & onions in close proximity. Apparently it sets off a reaction that makes the two spoil quicker. Once I put the two in separate corners of my pantry, they now last a lot longer than they had previously.

Use those panty hose for wrapping apples, pears, oranges and large plums right on the tree to discourage birds and squirrels from nipping bites. It takes two twist-ties, one for bottom and another for the top. Knots on the tree will encourage tiny pests to hide/nest there. Be very careful when you do this

because the fruit can snap. It must be done at the time the fruit is about to mature. Save the old hose for the next year in a mesh bag after washing them.

Using the hose in the pantry will also discourage bugs that might creep in or ride in on some product, especially kitchen moths, which are rampant these days from third world imports and expired grains not

double bagged in additional plastic sacks. God

bless you. : )

Really good idea! As a side note, be sure not to store onions and potatoes near one another because the gases from the onions will make the potatoes ripen/go bad in just a matter of a couple of weeks.

Storing Onions
Storing Onions
Food and Recipes StorageApril 3, 2007
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
🎄