Using Pantyhose to Store Onions

Category Dry Storage
Extend the life of your onions by keeping them dry. Use an old panty hose leg to hang them; tying a knot between each one is even more helpful. This is a guide about using pantyhose to store onions.

When my pantyhose get a run, I launder them with a regular load of laundry in the washer and then cut them off at the thigh. I use them for holding root vegetables. I put an onion in the toe and then tie a knot, and then add another onion, repeating. The onions lying or sitting directly next to each other hastens spoilage and the knot prevents this from happening. I then make a loop in the end and hang it in my pantry. When I need an onion, I just snip one off at the knot. This also keeps the skins from getting all over (and works with potatoes as well!)

By Denise from FL

By Lynda (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Use those panty hose for wrapping apples, pears, oranges and large plums right on the tree to discourage birds and squirrels from nipping bites. It takes two twist-ties, one for bottom and another for the top. Knots on the tree will encourage tiny pests to hide/nest there. Be very careful when you do this

because the fruit can snap. It must be done at the time the fruit is about to mature. Save the old hose for the next year in a mesh bag after washing them.

Using the hose in the pantry will also discourage bugs that might creep in or ride in on some product, especially kitchen moths, which are rampant these days from third world imports and expired grains not
double bagged in additional plastic sacks. God
bless you. : )

I use worn out pantyhose to separate my onions. I put an onion in the toe of the pantyhose then tie a knot in it. Then I add another onion, tie another knot and so on until I run out of a pantyhose leg. Then I take the leg(s) of onions and hang it from a hook in my pantry (or closet, whatever).

When I need an onion, I cut it off from underneath the next knot. It's quick, it's easy and it keeps dried onion peelings from getting all over your floor

By kimchee

Top Comment

I do this too. It works for garlic heads too.

If you keep your onions completely dry, separated, and hanging, they will last you for months. Take a washed or new pair of pantyhose and stack your onions vertically, then store in a cool dark place. Additionally, if you tie a knot in the hose between each whole onion, they will touch each other even less, lasting a bit longer.

Top Comment

This tip is so right on time for me. Just this past weekend, I was going to buy yellow onions. I only needed a couple. The loose onions were very large, so I didn't get any of them. Smaller onions were available in a five pound bag, but I was afraid they would go bad before I could use them all. I left the store without any onions.

I'll go back and get the five pound bag and store them as you have suggested. Now, to find a pair of nylons. I wouldn't dare keep onions in my pink fishnets. They were a gift from Gypsy Rose Lee, and she would never forgive me.

Save your knee highs and the legs from pantyhose to use to store onions. Just put onion in hose and tie a knot. Add another onion and tie a knot. Hang in a cool dry area. When you need an onion, cut it off the bottom below the knot.

By littergitter from NC

After previous problems with some moldy onions, because they touched in storage, this year we used several old pairs of tights. Pop one onion in, right down to the toe, then tie a knot above it. Continue until you've filled one leg, then do the other leg. Hang on a nail in a cool dry place.

We have done the same with marrows. One per leg in my daughter's too small tights. Our garage looks like a spare part factory, particularly with two marrow legs in bright blue tights, but they are keeping well so far!

By Lisa from UK

Editor's Note: Marrows are known as summer squash or zucchini in the U.S.

Answers

Best Answer

What an excellent idea! I am going to try this!