Storing Onions

We had a few beautiful bowls around the house that weren't being used for anything. I decided to use two of them for our onions and garlic cloves.

Now they are easily accessible for cooking with and it gives me a reason to have the bowls that I love out on the counter. :)

8 More Solutions

I found this adorable onion-shaped microwave onion-cooker. I decided to purchase it and use it to store onions, which were cut apart, in the refrigerator. This way, by using an onion cooker for storage, it also serves to cook onions too when I need them cooked.

A microwave onion cooker in a package.

You can hang onions in the basement, garage, or coldest room in the house and they will keep longer. I tie the onions in old pantyhose and seperate them with a twisty tie so they are aired well and I can reuse the hose for next time or to filter oil or something.

How does one store yellow onions so they don't go soft and mushy? I have about 20 pounds of nice big yellow onions and want to store them so I can use them all winter. I live in Winnipeg, Canada, so I can't keep them outside or they will freeze. Thank you for your help!

By Dena Roberts

Answers

Store them in a cool, dry area, but don't let the onions touch other.

A cool, dry area like a garage or basement is good.

Answer this Question

Extend the life of your onions by keeping them dry. Use an old panty hose leg to hang them; tying a knot between each one is even more helpful. This is a page about using pantyhose to store onions.

hanging onions

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

We have white onions we have harvested from the garden. How long can I expect them to last if they are stored in a cool place, in pantyhose?

I planted large onions this year and we have a lot. How do I store them for the winter?

I had many a potato and onion go bad until I learned to never refrigerate potatoes or dry onions. Never wash them until I'm ready to use them. Store them in a dark, cool space like a closet, garage or pantry. These vegetables require good air circulation.

Food and Recipes StorageMay 7, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Onions-1.html