Protecting Annuals from Frost

I don't know how many gardeners know this, but use this tip at the end of the summer. I always dreaded losing my annuals, until the year before last when I discovered this tip. Snip your annuals off just at the bottom of the stem and put new soil and mulch around them right before the first frost. They will return the next year with your perennials.

Mary from Berea, KY

I am going to give this a try! Thanks for the tip.

This year it took many plantings of seed before anything successfully grew -- we just had too much rain. So this tip will be very helpful if it works in my climate (southern Missouri). THANKS!

does this work on all anuals? I have mums, posies, snapdragons and pansies. I am just staring to get into gardening and bought them thinking that they where perennials.(they where on the wrong isle at home depot)

I am going to give this a try, but it probably works only for self-sowing annuals. For extra insurance, after the flower sets seed in fall, shake the seeds over the dirt before cutting back and covering with the soil and mulch.

Sunflowers in the cold.
Protecting Annuals from Frost
Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsSeptember 20, 2004
Surfinia flowers
Overwintering Annuals
Photo of growing begonias.
Growing Annuals
petunia annuals
Fertilizing Annuals
Annuals for sale in a nursery.
Save Money on Annuals