Use Bleach Once a Month to Keep Drains Clear

We recently paid a plumber $95 to clean a clogged bathtub drain. All our home remedy tips did not free the clog. In fact, we even had to have them get the "snake" that we had used out of the drain because it was lodged in and we couldn't get it to move. He shared a tip that will help keep drains clear. The problem we had was that hair had clogged it up. He said to pour a half gallon of Clorox in there once a month to keep it flushed. He also said never to use those liquid drain cleaners in a situation like this because they would just stop at the blocked up place and make the situation worse.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

I was told that clorox will mess up your septic tank. Kills the needed bacteria to keep the tank working. I can see it working great for the drains, but then if it kills the bacteria in the tank. You fix one thing and mess up another.

Hi Sandy, I read alot of your ideas and copy many of them so I don't forget them. Don't know how you get so smart but I enjoy reading what you have to say on several web pages. Keep up the good work. Pat in North Carolina.

The Clorox website says 3/4 c. flush at night will deodorize drains, but says nothing about unclogging. Their unclogging tip from Real Simple is to avoid bar soap, which has binders that create the soap scum, and use liquid or glycerin soaps.

Clorox or any other cleaning product in large quantity will indeed wreck all of the breakdown processes in a septic tank---think very carefully before you pour that kind of stuff down your drains or toilets!

A cheaper, faster, and safer way to deal with this is to go the the local equivalent of the "dollar store" and buy a "hair catcher" to put into the tub drain. It catches a LOT of the hair, and you just pull it out and clear all the hair off of it once a week or so.

I toss it into the dishwasher to clean it---had the same one for going on three years now and it still works great---no caustic substances are needed with this thing.

Total cost----a dollar.

Oh yes I almost forgot---it also helps to brush your hair vigorously before you get into the tub or shower. My daughter and I both have very long hair, and we get less of it in the catcher if we brush first.

That what I was told yesterday after I paid $130.00 to get my drain clean out. I will be using C

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingJune 29, 2009
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub