Composting Seaweed

I do not know much about composting. I am a scuba diving instructor who lives in the Philippines. Each summer we get a lot of green algae (sea weed) wash up on our beach here and it is unsightly to our customers.

The local people who are paid to clean up the beach. They clean it the way they have always done by digging a hole and burying it. I am looking for a way in which they can use it to their benefit, and I have heard a lot about composting it.

I was hoping someone could help me, so I can show them what to do with it. So that it can to be used, to either sell it or use it themselves. This way they will remove it from the beach instead of burying it and possibly make some badly needed extra income through the low season. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

How to Make Quick and Easy Seaweed Compost

Any gardener is well-aware of the benefits of compost and the many ways it can enhance the gardening experience. Countless articles (online and otherwise) attest to its benefits and the ways to make it out of ordinary, home-found, organic materials. Indeed, the current rage of "Green Living" has lead to a virtual explosion of garden and yard composting interest, fueled, additionally by local cities and governments promotions of the concept through instructional materials and, in many cases, by providing consumers with composters at no charge.

Extracts from seaweed have long been proven to accelerate the health and growth of plants by stimulating soil microbial activity, enhancing photosynthesis, improving cold-tolerance and thwarting insect damage. Seaweed, having more than 60 different nutrients, by its nature, decomposes far quicker than grass clippings, leaves, vegetable cuttings and the like, most of which require shredding to increase decomposition. Seaweed requires nothing, thus simplifying and accelerating the composting process. End result: better compost with less time to make it.search for" Composting Seaweed" lot of info there,good luck.

Try contacting the companies that sell dried seaweed at health food stores.

Anonymous

Here is a website for DIY Sea Weed Composting.

How to Make Quick and Easy Seaweed Compost | eHow.comHow to Make Quick and Easy Seaweed Compost. Any gardener is well-aware of the benefits of compost and the many ways it can enhance the gardening experience.

www.ehow.com/how_2284434_quick-easy-seaweed-compost.html - 60k - Cached - Similar pages -

Composting SeaweedComposting Seaweed. Can I use seaweed for composting? The ThriftyFun community gives advice to coastal dwellers. Post your own tips here.

www.thriftyfun.com/tf438007.tip.html - 38k - Cached - Similar pages -

Can I put seaweed in my compost? - Yahoo! AnswersYou'll need to rinse it well first, to wash away as much salt as possible, and then either mix or layer the seaweed into your compost heap to help ...

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070508140552AA8kKVF - 54k - Cached - Similar pages -

Seaweed Compost as an Amendment for Horticultural Soils in ...Seaweed Compost as an Amendment for Horticultural Soils in Patagonia, Argentina ... find Compost Science & Utilization articles. Seaweed (fresh, dry) or its ...

www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1515732151.html - 60k - Cached - Similar pages -

From Stillwater: Seaweed and Fish Fertilizer RecipesFeb 18, 2009 ... Seaweed contains insufficient nitrogen for making a good compost, ... The following guides may be used for making seaweed compost: 600 lbs. ...

stillwoods.blogspot.com/2009/02/seaweed-and-fish-fertilizer-

There are companies that harvest the seaweed. Find out what type it is, and then find a company that uses it. Good luck