Foul Smelling Clothes

I have some foul smelling clothes. I tried vinegar, fabreeze, lestoil, baking soda the works. I have to wash my clothes 2 times a week and the smell is still there. Any ideas.

Deborah from NYC

Deborah

Could it be that your clothes are picking up the smells from your washing machine?

Try another washing machine to check this out. If it is the machine at fault then try cleaning out the filters.

I have tried a few other washing machines and the smell is still there

go to www.moldzyme.com, their Moldzyme or Airzyme product will eliminate any organic odor and leave the clothes smelling fresh and clean.

Have you tried borax? I always have had excellent results with it. It is a great deodorizer.

First, find out the source of the odor and try to eliminate that. Unless it's the water itself- high iron content? Try presoaking and prewashing, in Gain Detergent with bleach- then a regular wash, and two rinse cycles, using extra liquid fabric softener on the last rinse. Better yet, (IF you can hang clothes in fresh air to dry) is to rinse with a cup of white Vinigar added to rinse cycle. Seeing as how you live in NYC, I'm wondering if the odor is from environmental industrial air pollution, especially if you live near or work in an industrial park area?

I always use a little Pinesol in my wash water. You don't smell it on your clothes when dry but they smell fresh & clean. My towels always smelled mildewy until I started doing this.

This is to Karen P. How much Pinesol do you put in the wash? I have the same problem with my towels.

have you tried air drying them??

I put two or three drops of perfume on my favorite hoodie before I put the load in the dryer. The smell stays and it smells wonderful.

I use a cup of ammonia in the wash. This was used years ago by my grandmother to freshed blankets that had been stored away. My husband's work shirts smelled awful & this gets them fresh. Hope this helps.

Actually, after further experimentation the colloidal silver doesn't appear to be a viable option. It does some disinfecting, but not good in comparison to ozone.

You can buy a moderately priced ozone generator from as little as $50-250. Wash clothes as normal, run through dryer (as normal), then use ozone generator on dried clothes.

The ones with a hose and tube stone for inserting into air tight container will allow you to put your clothes (from dryer) in a trash bag or plastic tub, insert the ozone tube, tie up the bag (so ozone doesn't escape), then run the generator for a disinfecting cycle (usually 30 mins).

Ozone kills the fungus and mildew (that survived the washing process by oxidizing "burning" them away). Ozone is 3,000 times the power of chlorine (bleach). This is useful, because "color" garments would otherwise fade with liquid bleach. Ozone uses simply O3 (extra oxygen molecule) and won't fade (as long as you apply to dry clothes).

Smelling clothing in the washing machine.
Clothes Smell Bad After Washing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMay 15, 2006
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
can of denatured alcohol and terrycloth rag
Cleaning with Denatured Alcohol
Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers
🎉
🎄