Finding A Reputable Miniature Cocker Spaniel Breeder

I am looking for a miniature American Cocker puppy, preferably buff color and male. I've had Cockers all of my life and haven't replaced the last one because my husband was deathly ill for 2 years. As he is on the road to recovery at last, I would love to find a puppy, but it has to be a mini as we live in a condo now.

Can anyone out there help me?
I live in Toronto Canada, but am prepared to go wherever I have to.

By Sharyn

I am glad you are looking for a reputable breeder instead of supporting the puppy mills. Even though you are in Canada, I would start with www.akc.com. On the left side you will find a link for breeders. On the next page scroll down almost all the way to the bottom and on the also on the left you will find a link for breeder referrals. This is a great place to start. I am positive when I was searching for my pup that I saw breeders in Canada listed. Good luck!

Cockers are a great breed, but mini-Cockers aren't AKC recognized. I did a bit of Googling, and you may want to as well before considering any Mini-Cocker breeder.

A lot of what I'm finding states that people will take the "runts" of regular Cocker litters and mate the undersized dogs in order to present a mini. What you're getting, in essence, is a dog that can carry a heightened risk of any diseases or health conditions that a Cocker can be prone to.

There's a big question as to whether this type of backyard breeding is ethical--both to prospective owners who have higher rates of vet bills or early death of their dogs and to the dogs: the dams that shouldn't be bred and the puppies who can suffer or die much earlier than the standard breed life.

Agree that you should check the AKC's list of reputable Cocker breeders in your area, though.

I am so happy your dear hubby is on the road to recovery!

I am sorry I don't have an answer about reputable breeders but may I suggest checking out your local shelters and places like pet finders first? There are so many great dogs (including cockers) out there who desperately need homes and, unless they are in a no kill shelter, will not be alive for long. :-(

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Dont forget they have Purebred Cocker rescues. Please try petfinder.com Or if you cant find what you're looking for, try a reputable breeder.

A reputable breeder will tell you everything about the breed, parents should be present, and show paperwork.

Young woman holding puppies.
Finding a Reputable Breeder
Pets AdviceJuly 10, 2010
Miniature Crochet
Miniature Crochet Tips
Buff Colored Cocker Spaniel Puppy
Name Ideas For a Buff Colored Cocker Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes
Miniature Cheesecake Recipes
🎄