Cocker Spaniel Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description: The American Cocker Spaniel is an active, friendly dog with a refined, rounded head, long, lobular ears and a sturdy compact body. Although mostly sought after for companionship, the Cocker Spaniel still retains the keen hunting instincts typically found in all spaniels.

Group: Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Hunting and flushing small game

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Averages 14-15 inches and 24-28 pounds

Color(s): Jet black, and other solid colors; may include tan markings; also parti-colored.

Coat Type: The Cocker Spaniel has a medium-length silky coat along the back and sides of its body, except for its ears, chest, abdomen and legs, which are covered with profuse amounts of long, silky, flat or wavy hair.

Grooming: The Cocker Spaniel's beautiful coat needs to be bathed and brushed frequently and taken to a professional grooming salon on a regular basis. This breed requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes should be cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Although very adaptable to apartment living, the Cocker Spaniel enjoys fresh air and daily exercise and excels in active sports like agility competitions.

Temperament: This warm and friendly breed can become overly excited and requires lots of love and attention. Sensitive, loving and faithful, Cocker Spaniels make wonderful companions and are happiest when they feel like part of the family.

Common Ailments: Eye sensitivities

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years Trivia: Rutherford B. Hayes owned a Cocker Spaniel named "Dot."

More Information: The American Cocker Spaniel Club, Inc. www.asc-cockerspaniel.org

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

More Solutions

As a profound animal lover of all kinds, a lot of my pet experiences haven't always been the best. My greatest accomplishment was when I found the most well behaved, sociable, Cocker Spaniel puppy! I've had my dog, Beauty, for 4 yrs. Now. My 6 year old son is super over active and can be a lite rough with Beauty.

Cocker Spaniels Make Great Family Pets

How big does a miniture Cocker Spaniel get? What kind of problems do they have? Are they hyper little dogs? What kind of activities do they like?

By Karen from Waldron, AR

Answers

To begin with, according to the American Kennel Club, Cocker Spaniels don't come in "miniature", so it sounds as if what you have is probably a "runt of the litter" or a cross with a smaller breed. From the picture I'd say the breeder bred down (breeding one runt to another) until he/she got what he/she is calling a "miniature". Saying this, there is no way of knowing how big your puppy will get. But she looks like she's full of love and deserves all the love you an heap on her.

She's so cute! A real sweetie, you are blessed to have her. I have 2 Cocker/Springer Spaniel mixes. We call them "Sprockers" for fun. Cockers are smart, they love paper tissues, we keep our waste baskets either in a cabinet or on top of our dressers. But, Cockers are prone to skin allergies and unfortunately also to eye problems and even blindness. Our Sadie went blind about 4 years ago. She's still the leader of the pack and gets around great. The only down side is we can't move the furniture! She runs through the house, goes out the dog door, across the deck, down the stairs and through the backyard. She's so smart that she's memorized where she can run without getting hurt. Wishing you all the best with your new puppy. Cocker Spaniels are so special.

Deborah, Thank you! She is a very cute and sweet lil' dog and very loveable. I am still learning a lot about her. I have only had her for a year now I got her when she was 2 months old. She is a very spoiled lil' girl. Thank you for the info that help me out.

Crickentnc, My Cocker Spaniel, Lady is the same exact size now that she is in the pic above. She has not grown any at all. Lady is now a year old. She turned a year back in March. She is full of love she is such a loveable lil' dog.

Answer this Question

I have been a breeder of American and English Cocker Spaniels for 12 years. I have had people contacting me wanting to buy miniature Cocker Spaniels. They are even telling me that they have seen them that weigh only 5-8 lbs.

I know that a true full blood Cocker does not come in miniature size or in a tea cup version. How can I prove this to them?

Answers

Best Answer

Share with them the Akc guidelines.

People will believe what they want no matter what you tell them, which is sad. The only thing you can do is show official breeder documents and refuse to deal with them, politely of course.

They will find someone disreputable to get them what they want so be active with your rescue and breeder groups locally to shut down bad breeders.

Answer this Question

38 Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

She joined our family in May 2011.

Coco with toys.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

Maxis a 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. Our little darling doggie was found wandering in a subdivision, had on a rabies tag, and they could not locate the people who had it. We think they simply moved away and left him

Closeup of Max lying with owner.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Chucci is a 10 month old American Cocker Spaniel. We got him last July. He likes to hang out with me! Chucci loves our walks in the country every morning.

Chucci on dog bed.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Makes me play fetch :-D

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Lily is an 18 month old American Cocker Spaniel. I saw puppies advertised on a community bulletin board. I went to see them and fell in love with her.

Tan and cream Cocker

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Our dog's name is Bailey and the cat is Cleo. Our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel loves our 9 year old Calico cat.

Cocker and calico cat.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

This is a picture of the newest member of our family. Her name is Star and she is a miniature Cocker Spaniel that we got from the pound last October. They said she is about 7 years old.

Cocker wearing straw hat.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Millie is an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel. I got Millie a year ago from a family that had 8 dogs, and some of them were picking on her and biting her. The family decided to find her a new home.

A light brown cocker spaniel on a bed.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6
Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Cocker SpanielSeptember 12, 2013
🌻
🎂
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cocker-Spaniel-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html