Cocker Spaniel Breed Information and Photos

An active, sturdy dog who are mostly sought after for companionship, but still retain keen hunting instincts. This guide contains cocker spaniel breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The American Cocker Spaniel is an active, friendly dog with a refined, rounded head, long, lobular ears and a sturdy compact body. Although mostly sought after for companionship, the Cocker Spaniel still retains the keen hunting instincts typically found in all spaniels.

Group: Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Hunting and flushing small game

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Averages 14-15 inches and 24-28 pounds

Color(s): Jet black, and other solid colors; may include tan markings; also parti-colored.

Coat Type: The Cocker Spaniel has a medium-length silky coat along the back and sides of its body, except for its ears, chest, abdomen and legs, which are covered with profuse amounts of long, silky, flat or wavy hair.

Grooming: The Cocker Spaniel's beautiful coat needs to be bathed and brushed frequently and taken to a professional grooming salon on a regular basis. This breed requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes should be cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Although very adaptable to apartment living, the Cocker Spaniel enjoys fresh air and daily exercise and excels in active sports like agility competitions.

Temperament: This warm and friendly breed can become overly excited and requires lots of love and attention. Sensitive, loving and faithful, Cocker Spaniels make wonderful companions and are happiest when they feel like part of the family.

Common Ailments: Eye sensitivities

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years Trivia: Rutherford B. Hayes owned a Cocker Spaniel named "Dot."

More Information: The American Cocker Spaniel Club, Inc. www.asc-cockerspaniel.org

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

As a profound animal lover of all kinds, a lot of my pet experiences haven't always been the best. My greatest accomplishment was when I found the most well behaved, sociable, Cocker Spaniel puppy! I've had my dog, Beauty, for 4 yrs. Now. My 6 year old son is super over active and can be a lite rough with Beauty. I'm only mentioning one breed, but there are many sites that cover all breeds! Cocker Spaniels are the ultimate companion. Extremely smart and easy to train. Not to mention they are very tolerant of large families with small children. Just love them, feed them, and brush them everyday and your whole family will enjoy their affection in return!

1. Your Pet's Age
  2. Ad

3. Your Pet's Breed
  4. How and when did you get your pet?
  5. What does your pet like to do for fun?
  6. Do you have anything else to share about your pet?

How big does a miniture Cocker Spaniel get? What kind of problems do they have? Are they hyper little dogs? What kind of activities do they like?

By Karen from Waldron, AR

Answers

To begin with, according to the American Kennel Club, Cocker Spaniels don't come in "miniature", so it sounds as if what you have is probably a "runt of the litter" or a cross with a smaller breed. From the picture I'd say the breeder bred down (breeding one runt to another) until he/she got what he/she is calling a "miniature".

Saying this, there is no way of knowing how big your puppy will get. But she looks like she's full of love and deserves all the love you an heap on her.

She's so cute! A real sweetie, you are blessed to have her. I have 2 Cocker/Springer Spaniel mixes. We call them "Sprockers" for fun. Cockers are smart, they love paper tissues, we keep our waste baskets either in a cabinet or on top of our dressers. But, Cockers are prone to skin allergies and unfortunately also to eye problems and even blindness. Our Sadie went blind about 4 years ago. She's still the leader of the pack and gets around great. The only down side is we can't move the furniture! She runs through the house, goes out the dog door, across the deck, down the stairs and through the backyard. She's so smart that she's memorized where she can run without getting hurt. Wishing you all the best with your new puppy. Cocker Spaniels are so special.

Deborah, Thank you! She is a very cute and sweet lil' dog and very loveable. I am still learning a lot about her.

I have only had her for a year now I got her when she was 2 months old. She is a very spoiled lil' girl. Thank you for the info that help me out.

Crickentnc, My Cocker Spaniel, Lady is the same exact size now that she is in the pic above. She has not grown any at all. Lady is now a year old. She turned a year back in March. She is full of love she is such a loveable lil' dog.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
2 Years

Your Pet's Breed
American Cocker Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
She joined our family in May 2011.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to play fetch.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Coco loves to eat fruits and is very fond of driving. :-) Check out her Facebook account.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

Maxis a 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. Our little darling doggie was found wandering in a subdivision, had on a rabies tag, and they could not locate the people who had it. We think they simply moved away and left him. He was scared silly, dirty, matted, but with a few weeks of loving he has turned into "The Perfect Pet"! Max's only pastime we have found so far is playing with squeaky toys. He will grab one and come to us, but if we try to get it to throw for him, he runs like a mad dog, squeaking away on that toy. We took Max camping a few weeks ago, and he is a pro at stopping at every person for petting, already. He doesn't bark at people passing by. He is really good with out other dogs. His one vice is that he is death on chipmunks. He proudly trotted to the door with one hanging limply in his mouth, the other day. Oh, boy.

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

Closeup of Max lying with owner.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Chucci is a 10 month old American Cocker Spaniel. We got him last July. He likes to hang out with me! Chucci loves our walks in the country every morning. Chucci and I immediately became attached the day he was given to me by a family that found that they couldn't care properly for him. He goes everywhere I go and sleeps at the foot of my bed. I've had many pets through the years, but never have I had such a loving dog that was as great a companion as Chucci (pronounced Chu-Chy)

By Johnny

Chucci on dog bed.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Makes me play fetch :-D

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Lily is an 18 month old American Cocker Spaniel. I saw puppies advertised on a community bulletin board. I went to see them and fell in love with her.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Our dog's name is Bailey and the cat is Cleo. Our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel loves our 9 year old Calico cat.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

This is a picture of the newest member of our family. Her name is Star and she is a miniature Cocker Spaniel that we got from the pound last October. They said she is about 7 years old.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Millie is an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel. I got Millie a year ago from a family that had 8 dogs, and some of them were picking on her and biting her. The family decided to find her a new home.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

I received him from a breeder in August. My previous Cocker had passed away a few weeks prior after battling lung cancer, and Merlin was having difficulty finding a home due to a congenital defect. No one seemed to want this adorable little puppy who would need surgery. Well, they missed out. He had his surgery last week and is doing fabulous!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Lily Belle is 18 months old and an American Cocker Spaniel. I got my pet from a farmer, who had both the father and mother. She was being advertised on a community bulletin board.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Fantasia is a 3 year old Black and Tan Cocker Spaniel. She was a birthday gift from my kids. Fantasia loves to chase tennis balls. She will chase it until she drops but it has to be a tennis ball, no rubber, no plastic, no sponge. It HAS to be a tennis ball.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

I adopted her from a Cocker Spaniel rescue shelter when she was one year old. She loves to run and to chase balls.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Lacey is seven and a half years old. Lacey is a small sable American Cocker Spaniel who I purchased from a local breeder who decided to get out of the business. I was waiting on Lacey to have another litter, so I could get one of her puppies.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

It was the owner's lost and our gain! The family that Lucky came from had 2 dogs, a Pit and Lucky. The owners wanted to keep the Pit for breeding and said they could not afford 2 dogs. We felt that the reasons although not good, were great for our family.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Bentley is 4 years old. Technically he's a Cocker Spaniel, but he thinks human. Bentley came into my life in early 2006, as a puppy. I can't imagine a day without him now.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12
Load More