Toilet Ring from Silicates

I have a toilet bowl ring that nothing will remove, not even hydrogen chloride 23%. I was told it was silicates in my water. I don't want to use a pumice stone. Anything else I can use?

Cathline

Please check my previous posts on Spirit of Salts for this problem.

Good luck!!!

try vinegar, baking soda and let them sit and fizz for a bit then use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and elbow grease. Our home inspector told us we would never get the stains out of our shower stall because they were mineral deposits. I used vinegar and Magic Eraser and scrubbed and the shower looked like new.

I don't know what silicates is, but try a product from Amway called "Bathroom cleaner Plus"

I almost hate to admit this, but I used a blunt table knife to get rid of a monster mineral buildup in a toilet at my Mom's house. Multiple owners couldn't dent it, and I just started scraping and chipping. Not near as likely to hurt the porcelain as pumice, I would think. Two years later, it was back as bad as ever, and they just shrug now, seniours that they are. Oh well. But that knife blade worked. Of course I wore gloves, whatever did you think? =oD

It sounds like a tough mineral buildup that could be coming from deep water, such as causes crystals and stalamites to grow in caves? Regardless, the heavy chipping of it can truly damage the porcelain, which is a glass coating over enamel, which might have already been chipped and is contributing to the buildup so quickly?

I'd turn the water off at the wall behind the tank. Drain it by flushing, wipe residue with paper towels, and let it dry out well, helping it along when empty, with a blow dryer.

Then try CLR, which should be allowed to sit at lease overnight or longer (follow instructions!). It supposedly removes Calcium, Lime, Rust deposits, all mineral origins, it claims.. Silicate is some form of silica, I think, and is like glass itself, so it may become an ongoing problem bonding to the porcelain. (If your parents can't clean the toilet weekly, expect that you will have to do it for them or allow the buildup.)

After soaking, if CLR worked, gently chip it away with a putty knife and a little help from a light weight hammer on the putty knife handle, but not too hard, holding the tools firmly, and wearing safety goggles in case anything flies into the air from the chipping. A knife might break or scratch because it's harder? With luck, you can get it off and wipe it out with a few paper towels/wearing rubber gloves as was suggested. When clean and dry, I'd try coating it with vasoline to see if it reduces buildup between cleanings? God bless and help you as you try to help others. : )

I live in Spain and have the same problem. We are on well water but have mains drainage, so I use what all the Spanish people in my area use - Agua Fuerte. This means strong water and is hydrochloric acid!!!!! Works like a dream.

Try a denture tablet or two soaked overnight in the toilet. Toilets and dentures are made of the same material !

I use a product called "The Works" it is the best that I have found. And its at the dollar store which makes it even better.

Try adding more water to the bowl of your toilet to raise the water level above the ring and then just toss in some cheap store brand Alka Seltzer Tablets. When they are done fizzing just give your bowl a swish with the toilet brush. I'll be very surprised if this doesn't work. Or once you do get the ring removed, follow the above steps once a week to keep the ring from returning. Wierd, but works!

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJuly 18, 2007
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎄